water tube for '65 rxel-13b wanted

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks,looking for your help yet again!I have a 65 33hp sea horse RXEL-13B That I replaced the impeller on and tried to make my own copper water tube.Doesn't work!I know the factory tube also has a couple small holes about midway.Does the factory tube gave a swedge to it on the engine side.I see no seal up there,nore do I recall one on the parts breakdown.I would like to fine a factory one with correct bends in it.Thanks again!!:confused::confused:

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water tube for '65 rxel-13b wanted

Looks like they are still available.
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=377060&x=17&y=12
You might look in the "Top Secret File" at the top of the page, there is a list of salvage yards there, maybe one of them can help you out.[/QUOTEthanks for the reply,but at $85.00 I'll keep working with what I have(or have not)I saw a grommet by sierra(18-3329)I am pretty sure mine didn't have this grommet as the tube fit pretty loose.

kfa4303

Banned

You definitely want the grommet for either end, but the pipe itself is just a simple piece of copper tube (I'm guessing 1/2") that you can get from any home store and bend it to fit, but without the grommets it won't seal properly. You may also want to check aomci.org. There are some very kinds souls there that may be able to help you out for much less than $85.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply,I am a member of the antique outboard motor club,But I have had great luck here to.I thought the factort tube had a lip built into it for the seal to stop against?I have tried to build a tube(1/2"copper)but the top never felt good,as well as trying to get the bend fight to clear the shift linkage.But thanks,I'll give them a shoot as well.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

You definitely want the grommet for either end, but the pipe itself is just a simple piece of copper tube (I'm guessing 1/2") that you can get from any home store and bend it to fit, but without the grommets it won't seal properly. You may also want to check aomci.org. There are some very kinds souls there that may be able to help you out for much less than $85.

I am guessing that I will be replacing the seal on the top also.Will I be pulling the power head?

kfa4303

Banned

In the larger hp motors the water uptake tube doesn't attach directly to the underside of the powerhead. I may be wrong, but on my '66 33 hp RXEL-14D, there was only a single water tube that was seated on top of the waterpump housing on one end and into a grommet seated in the LU on the other. It was like my '66 20 hp and '61 10 hp motors where you just seated the tube in the grommet at either end when installing the LU. I think you only had to remove the powerhead on some of the older, smaller hp OMC motors (<10 hp) where the power heads are small, light weight and easy to remove. Perhaps you can get the grommets fairly cheap and make your own tube? The end of the tube that goes into the waterpump housing usually has a 45 degree angle cut into it and there is a very small hole (1/8"-1/16") drilled about half way up the tube should you decide to make your own.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

thank you yery much!My wife thinks I have to much on my plate(and to much in the garage!)so,I am going to sell it or part it out.Thanks all for your help!

Superslow

Recruit

Have you decided if you are gonna part your poor engine out? If you are I would be interested in the lower unit (gearcase and prop). I feel your pain, I had to part with a few hobbys to make the other half happy.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

Have you decided if you are gonna part your poor engine out? If you are I would be interested in the lower unit (gearcase and prop). I feel your pain, I had to part with a few hobbys to make the other half happy.

all I have left of the rxel is the carb,water pump housing and plate,and the drive shaft(long shaft)all else has been sold.