Bilge pump wiring...

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a Rule 30 Amp bilge switch to put into my boat. I was reading the directions and they say to wire the switch into the neg/ground wire. I thought the switches always went into the pos/hot wire to the pump. Is this something new or simply a mistake on their diagram?
Thank you, Hippie2

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bilge pump wiring...

Not the best way to go, but it would work, as long as you don't have a manual switch to the pump.
If the pump is manual as well as automatic (as it should be incase the float switch fails) the float switch will have to be wired on the positive wire to the pump.

switching on the negative after the load is meant to extend the life cycle of the contact points but as the switch is rated at 30 amps and most pumps are less than 2amp the extra cycles proberly wont matter. if its a switch and not a dual unit i would just wire it to the positive to avoid anyone mis-diagnosis later on (makes using a volt meter easier as you know if it has power it should run).

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

Don and Glenn, Thank you both for the fast reply. I'll do as you both say Bob

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just installed a float switch for my Bilge pump and that is exactly what I did. It works great. Another tip... My boat is aluminum and so I was not about to screw it into the bottom of my boat. I got a hunk of scrap aluminum and screwed both the pump and switch to that.

TerryMSU

Not the best way to go, but it would work, as long as you don't have a manual switch to the pump.
If the pump is manual as well as automatic (as it should be incase the float switch fails) the float switch will have to be wired on the positive wire to the pump.