No ignition switch response

Ripple17

Cadet
Hello,
I was doing some maintenance on my Mercruiser 3.0. I changed the fuel filter and the sparkplugs. I expected the engine to be difficult to start at first and cranked it over many times without success. After reexamining, I noticed that one spark plug wire was not connected. I connected it and the engine started and ran but would stall at low idle (my original reason for doing the work).

After it stalled, I turned the key to start it again and no response. The battery is connected (horn and accessories work) but the instruments (fuel gauge, etc) do not move when switched to "on" and the "start" position does nothing.

Is the starter switch damaged or is there a fuse blown somewhere. I am getting power to the red starter motor lead. I have a multimeter, where do I start checking?

Ripple17

Cadet
Re: No ignition switch response

Thank you Don S for the information. It was very educational. I went through the steps and was almost convinced that I needed a new ignition switch. Since my boat stores were closed and the auto stores were still open I tried one more thing.
I pulled some of my fuses out and found the highest (15 amp) fuse was blown. I went to the auto store and got a new one.
Success !!! the problem was the fuse. The biggest clue was that my instruments didn't work when the switch was "on".

I will close this thread and open another about my original engine idle issue.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Now you get to figure out why the fuse blew. Backyard electronics tech.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Do you really want to be out on the water when this fuse blows again?

Ripple17

Cadet

The fuse blew because I was cranking the engine far more aggresively in my back yard than I would have on the water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The instruments didn't work with the key in the RUn position because they are powered via the engine harness and hence protected by the same fuse that blew.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

The fuse blew because I was cranking the engine far more aggresively in my back yard than I would have on the water.

I don't buy that.. I'm betting that you have something else going on. Fuses don't usually blow just from cranking an engine.

Ripple17

Cadet

Hello Artificialreef & Mark1905,

You are right! I found a bare purple wire on the top of the engine surrounded by badly charred tape and other singed wires.
I rewrapped the wires and put a plastic casing around them. I hope that stops my fuse blowing problem.

Thank you.