1966 OMC Part Catalog 33 HP Evinrude/Johnson

jvang

Cadet
when i go to full throttle or any speed the motor kicks back or jerks say every 5 to 8 seconds what can be cause this problem as i am know expert at all with boat engines. but asked around and it can be the gears are going bad giving that the fact that it is a old one. other then that this motor hasnt had much problem at all just the jerking park . can any one point me to the right direction to get this fix before it gets worse. i havent taken apart the motor yet. forum looks helpful so thought i tried here before anything 1st..thanks
i leave in st.paul mn the land of 10,000 lakes and i would be ashamed of myself not to be fishing .. any help or guidance here is much needed..thanks again

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1966 OMC Part Catalog 33 HP Evinrude/Johnson

Hi jvang. WElcome to iboats. I used to have the same motor. When you say "kicks back or jerks" do you mean while the motor is at idle, or while underway? Is the boat slipping out of gear, or simply stalling? If it is slipping out of gear and feels like you're hitting a submerged object, then you probably have a worn clutch dog, which is found inside the gearcase. However, you may get lucky and simply need to check/adjust the shift rod coupler. You can inspect it by removing the little oval plate on the side of the leg and check to see if coupler is snug, or if either of the bolts have backed out. If the motor is doing all of this at idle, or without slipping out of geat, then you may be having what's called a "lean sneeze" in which the motor is starved for fuel and temporarily stalls. It can be fixed easily, but backing out the lo speed needle on the carb about 1/4 turn and waiting for 15-30 seconds for it to take effect. If the problem persists, you may just need to clean and rebuild the carb. It's an easy job you can do yourself for about $25 and a can of carb cleaner. You can even get a rebuild kit right here at iboats. Give these links a read and let us know if the motor is slipping out of gear, or not and we'll take it from there. The fact that she runs means she has good compression which is a good sign. You can fix everything else yourself for very little money and using everday tools.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm (different model than yours, but very similar)

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278780/27878000001.htm

jvang

Cadet

thanks a handful for the fast response and the warm welcoming to iboats .. much appreciated ive read around was hope that it wouldnt be the gears yet but i will look into all the stuff you listed first and go down from there. once again thanks a handful

jvang

Cadet

and yes while it is on idle also sorry didnt get that in, i took it for test yesterday and spent the whole day in and out the lake with it. starts out with just one or two pull and doesn't stall at all.. but i will diffidently try out what you listed and let you how things go hopefully sooner then later

jvang

Cadet

how would i know if my clutch dog has gone bad i did take it apart but cant tell everything looks right.. i will take pictures and post later if it doesnt rain here in mn

lindy46

Captain

Clutch dog has "ears" which engage ears on the forward gear. Those ears get rounded/chipped on either or both the dog and the gear, and when that happens, the ears slip off of one another and jump 90 degrees, momentarily causing the propshaft/prop to disengage. Feels like you hit an underwater obstruction.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't be deceived, those "ears" take surprisingly little wear to make it jump. Most novices look at them asd say they look fine when they in fact are not. When it jumps from that, you usually can see the shift lever jerk, but not always. The feel is unmistakeable, feels like you hit something. And every time it jumps, the parts are damaged more, so if it doesn't need a gear now, it soon will if you keep it up. Jumping like that will also beat the shift linkage to death.

A "Lean Sneeze" happens at idle, usually while in neutral. If that is what it is, turn the slow speed adjustment knob bit to the left to richen it up.

jvang

Cadet

photo.jpg
so is this consider a bad clutch dog, what if i just reverse the clutch dog? it was raining here in mn so i couldnt take out the boat and test the motor to see if it was still jerking while in idle.. all i did was reverse it and see if that do the trick. also if i just get a new clutch dog and the problem is still here what is the next thing i should look at ...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, the ears on the other side looks good. Flip it over and use the other side. Also check the shift cradle and make sure there is no slop in the clutch dog. Also check the shift linkage adjustment and make sure there is no up and down play in the upper shift rod, while you have it apart. Take ahold of the shift rod, through the coupler access hole, with a pair of long nose pliers and try for up and down play. If you do find slopiness, then you'll have to pull the powerhead and tighten the connections at the bellcrank.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. That's a classic worn clutch dog. You can flip it around which should restore FWD gear per the previous post, but REV may slip. Most folks don't mind the trade off, but if you use REV a lot, then you may want to get a new dog. Place a WTB ad on aomci.org, or ask around here in the forums for parts as new ones are quite pricey ($100+).

jvang

Cadet

Thanks all you guys have been nothing but a great big help.. This morning was sprinkling but i had the chance to take out the boat and give it a try with the clutch dog being reversed .. The good news is that it doesn't slip no more now seems like I dug myself a new hole... On full throttle my max speed is anywhere from 8-13 mph tops.. Now what can cause this ? Problem after another ...

jvang

Cadet

clutch dog1.jpg
yea so all i did was reverse the clutch dog so far but took it for a test and the speed was at half of what i normally ran with this 33 HP johnson. whats causing this now. all though after the test run yesterday i took it back home and looked at all the parts again. what can be causing this low mph

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again j. Flipping the clutch dog shouldn't have decreased your performance any, assuming you were getting and staying in gear. It sounds like you going about 1/2 as fast as you should, which makes me think you may only be running on one cylinder, which these old motors can do surprisingly well. To determine if that is the case, you'll need to check the spark on both cylinders. The best was is to use a gap tester available at any auto store for about $5. Ideally, your spark should jump a 1/4" gap with a bright, snapping, blue spark. If the spark is ok on both cylinders, you may have a fuel delivery issue, which usually just means a dirty carb. First, check the spark and let us know what you find.

jvang

Cadet

[video]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v203/van_jay/?action=view&current=1966Johnson33HP.mp4[/video]

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIME AND RESPONSE THAT EVERYONE GAVE ME!!! IM GLAD I STARTED SNOOPING AROUND THE NET AND FOUND THIS SITE.. AFTER TWO WEEKS WITH TRAILS AND ERRORS SHE IS FINALLY UP AND RUNNING READY FOR SUMMER OF 2012 ...ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THOSE WHO SHARED AN LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND I LEARNED ALOT ALSO.. WILL BE A REGULAR HERE AND READ MORE JUST TO KNOW MORE ALSO..THANKS ALL