Back to Back seat builing

salfred31

Cadet
I just bought a new boat and am in the process of replacing alot of the interior. The original back to back seats are completly rotted to the point i cannot tell exactly how they were built, measurments etc. Would anyone have a diagram etc so I can try and get these seats built? Thanks for the help...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Back to Back seat builing

Welcome to iboats...

I understand where you are coming from, but consider that it might be both easier (and more cost effective) to simply buy some new ones... Based on the above description, I am assuming your seat cushions and vinyl are pretty much shot too. By the time you fabricate the seats, coat them with epoxy or poly/glass, new vinyl, and pay the upholster, etc... You will be in it for about the same if not much more. If you can sew yourself, then you will may come out ahead (not factoring in your time), but there only a hand few of people on this forum that have done this successfully without it looking sort of home-made.... If you are going to sew, you also have to have the right equipment (industrial grade machine).

For example, right here on iboats, you can get a set of Wise seats for a reasonable price:

http://www.iboats.com/Wise-Lounge-J...0126622--session_id.442466712--view_id.796827

Alot of folks use the Veada seats, and are happy with them, but I think they are a little more spendy the wise.

http://veada.com/boat-lounge-seats.html

The other benefit is that many of the OEM seats have molded, composite bottoms which are lighter and often look better....

Others may chime in with some more recommendations. Not the gospel, Just my .02.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i bought new seats for mine when i did my ray the first time.

if it is just the wood that is rotten,,,,,,you can remove the cushion and vinyl.....and the vinyl will hold the shape.....you can make a template of the wood from that.

then just staple the vinyl on to the wood.

check out mrdflores thread for uph how to's

salfred31

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. I may just look at buying, unfortunately the wood, vinyl, cushioning etc are all so worn, it's completly rotted and ripped etc. My wife said "baby you wanted a project boat, you got a project boat".

sprintst

Commander

I have some pics of the back to back seats that I reverse engineered from my rotten seats.

Depends on how far gone yours are for templates. Veada has some nice hinges, etc and you can shop for a good but reasonably priced upholsterer to cover them. Also depends on if you are trying to match up colors to the rest of the interior.

It sure is easier to just buy them :)

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looked at veada seats and compared them to wise seats.veada seats are made here but almost twice the price of wise.got mine(wise) at walmart, free shipping . good thing because one had a small razor blade slice and just returned it to walmart for a exchange.got the new one in 3 days.

sprintst

Commander

I like the boxes and bases from Wise as they are not made of wood. Veada does have good hardware though in case anyone needs scissor hinges, offset hinges, etc.

willib0731

Cadet

Does anyone know a work around for the offset hinges? Hard to find out here in WA, and I don't want to wait a week for shipping... Any suggestions?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I made a pair and it was a lot of work...

willib0731

Cadet

[video]http://yotu.be/vuaj0ceDqdk[/video]I gave a broken one to my brother and he fabricated a new set for me on the spot. Isn't that what big brothers are for? Got her wet today for the 1st time today. Went very well. I will post a vid as soon as it is done uploadingf to youtube. need to play with trim and height, but overall very good.