1963 Starcraft Jupiter - partial restoration?

marika19

Cadet
Hello!

I purchased my first real boat a few months ago, got ambitious and ripped out the floor, then the transom... now I am looking to put her back together again. My current plan is to restore the exterior to as close to original as possible (this will most likely not happen for a while though). The interior will be more customized and is my first mission.

So, without further ado, here are some pictures when i bought her...
Craigslist Pic 2.jpgCraigslist Pic 3.jpgCraigslist Pic 4.jpgP3130040.JPGP3130042.jpg

marika19

Cadet
Re: 1963 Starcraft Jupiter - partial restoration?

And the deconstruction begins....Out with the transom!
P5160009.jpgP5160012.jpgP5160015.jpgP5160016.jpgP5160017.jpg

barato2

Commander

nice boat. you're making good progress. welcome to the zoo. fear MBS.

marika19

Cadet

nice boat. you're making good progress. welcome to the zoo. fear MBS.[/QUOT

Thanks barato2!

My friends keep telling me I need to go into boat building as a career...MBS...I ain't scared, bring it!!! :D

barato2

Commander

did you post pix of the first boat anywhere? that looks like a build rather than a resto

would be a lovely career, but don't plan on gettin rich. there's a guy in ABq who builds nice wooden boats, beautiful work, but they don't seem to move very fast on CL.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the Starcraft club man, awesome!:)

Those bvack to back seats struck me funny sitting sideways like that:D

marika19

Cadet

Welcome to the Starcraft club man, awesome!:)

Those bvack to back seats struck me funny sitting sideways like that:D

Yeah, that double seat wasn't even latched down to the deck, just hanging out. I haven't yet decided if I'll hang on to it or if it will become a donation in the alley. Think it might fetch a few bucks on CL?

marika19

Cadet

Last night I put an old pressure washer to the test on the inside of the boat. Sprayed out the ribs, lots of sediment clogging the drainage. The sweet thing was that it was able to remove much of the seam sealer, less sanding and grinding for me later. Planning to Gluvit the seams and the rivets some day soon.

Anyone have a good suggestion on sound deadening the hull? I wasn't planning to do a 2-part marine foam, so that's out. Was thinking maybe a bed-liner or a rubberized cement coating. Thoughts?

barato2

Commander

and here i thought sideways seats were just cuz you just had a dedicated sightseeing boat

my starchief has I/O carpet glued inside hull and i suspect it's factory. i'm using DuraBak on the holiday but haven't yet applied. reasonably happy with results i got on other tinnie with Coat-It, avail from bigbox stores and possibly iBoats....definitely deadens resonance some.

marika19

Cadet

and here i thought sideways seats were just cuz you just had a dedicated sightseeing boat

my starchief has I/O carpet glued inside hull and i suspect it's factory. i'm using DuraBak on the holiday but haven't yet applied. reasonably happy with results i got on other tinnie with Coat-It, avail from bigbox stores and possibly iBoats....definitely deadens resonance some.

Do you think DuraBak or Coat-It on the inside hull could be a good substitute for Gluvit as well as being the final coating? That could save quite a bit of time and money if so!

marika19

Cadet

barato2

Commander

yeah, i agree. and yet they're still not selling....they've been on for months.

on the goopage, yeah, that might work. both are fluid enough that they will help to seal things. my only Q is whether they're fluid enough to flow into any tiny crevices around the rivets and stop the leakage before it gets past the outer hull. dunno on that