running a NJ inlet in big surf and old boats

Philster

Captain
Re: running a NJ inlet in big surf and old boats

Cool stuff.

Been through that inlet and others like it. Can't image doing it without sufficient power like those boats.

Makes me pause and think about the guys who had their boat and nothing else. Like a farm... you lose it, you lose everything. Where do you turn?

One bad inlet on the wrong day and.... anyway.... cool video.

sasto

Captain

Incredible footage....Home Cookin'

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

reminds me of the one you may have put up last year with the captain killed stuffing the bow in an inlet down there. Right now, Hatteras Inlet is the scene of hard groundings. USCG even moved channel markers without telling the commercial captains.

Triton II

Commander

Scary stuff and what a great old film clip. We have some really nasty river mouth "bars" over here as the government/local councils never dredge to an adequate level. Great for jet skis, carp for the rest of us! :(

TII

sasto

Captain

reminds me of the one you may have put up last year with the captain killed stuffing the bow in an inlet down there. Right now, Hatteras Inlet is the scene of hard groundings. USCG even moved channel markers without telling the commercial captains.

That Captain is still being talked about here, Home Cookin'. The last time I entered Hatteras (5 years or so ago) I had a local captain bring me in. Sure glad I did. The inlet was marked wrong. Then, when we passed under the bridge the channel was marked with gallon jugs placed there by local fishermen.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The last time I entered Hatteras (5 years or so ago) I had a local captain bring me in. Sure glad I did. The inlet was marked wrong. Then, when we passed under the bridge the channel was marked with gallon jugs placed there by local fishermen.
Hatteras doesn't have a bridge. Must have been Oregon Inlet.

sasto

Captain

You are correct, dingbat. Come to think of it......I don't think I have never been thru Hatteras Inlet. I felt odd enough at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center in a Viking surrounded by a bunch of Buddy Davis boats. I once worked for Buddy at Wanchese and they don't take kindly to our "Yankee" boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

No the Army Corp moved the bridge one night, too, and didn't tell anyone.

Both of those inlets are serious business these days; they alternate which is worse. Smaller boats try to follow the battleships in and out but that doesn't work. And once you commit, you can't stop, turn around or even slow down. it's a dangerous at most, expensive at least, mess down there.

southkogs

Staff member

Yikes, the ride on that flybridge musta' been a real underwear-browner!!

I learn new respect for the sea each time I see stuff like this. Amazing footage HC - thanks for posting it.