New member: Amazed at the Starcraft Lovers!

Old Boat Luvr

Seaman Apprentice
Holy Cow! There's like an entire section for Starcraft lovers! I'm impressed! Heck I thought I was all alone out there! Just to introduce myself I own 2 Starcrafts. One is an 18' 1974 Super Sport that is my daily fishing boat I've been slowly restoring as I use it. Bought it about 5 or 6 years ago and love it! It's always been stored indoors so it's kinda a cream puff. I also just purchased an 18' 1970 Holiday V with the 120hp I/O that I'm starting a restore on. It too has spent most all it's life stored indoors and is a cream puff!
This is the SS out on a fishing trip
IMG_0803.jpg

This is the SS's Helm with the dash I restored using all fog free white faced gauges. I have a matching set of 94' Evinrudes (a 112SP and a 9.9 for trolling) and I set it up with dual controls so you can start/run and steer either or both from the helm. The only thing it doesn't do is have a power tilt for the 9.9 but I can't be totally lazy! It also has an Eagle fish finder/GPS, marine radio with dual antennas and a marine stereo w/cd player.
005.jpg

Here's a back shot of the matching motors.
IMG_0805.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: New member: Amazed at the Starcraft Lovers!

Yah man, you found where all the Starcraft weirdos hang out! You have a great set up there ^^^. Welcome:D

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the Starmada, great looking SS, have not seen too many with matching o/b's, The Holiday with the Mercruiser is a nice set up as well, very economical to run.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

WELCOME! A new member and he's already got multiple boat syndrome. You'll fit in just great around here :D

I'm also running two semi-matching (but much uglier than yours) Evinrudes. Just completed my kicker bracket install last night http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/IMG_20120515_183130.jpg I don't have controls yet for the kicker. I'd be interested in pics/details on your steering integration for it.

barato2

Commander

bienvenidos homey! welcome to the monkey house and all that. don't worry, the inmates here will have you supplementing your collection in no time....

Old Boat Luvr

Seaman Apprentice
Question about I/O's

Question about I/O's

Since the Holiday is my first I/O I have some questions:
1. On the dash I have 3 buttons for the tilt/trim. The top one says UP/Trailer (this one doesn't work). The middle one says UP/Out (this one doesn't work either) and the bottom one says IN/down (this one works I think). Now I understand the UP and DOWN part but what is the IN and OUT supposed to do?

2. I found two brass plugs on the intake manifold (one 1/8" and one 1/4") and figured out they must be for winterizing the exhaust manifold (1/8") and block(1/4") but are there other things I need to winterize and how?

3. Is there a source somewhere for me to download a copy of the owners manual for this thing?

4. Are there other things I need to look for or should know about that's unique to I/O's?

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question about I/O's

Can't help with the I/O questions as mine is an outboard, but welcome to the Starmada!

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thought for sure I had seen this setup on Craigslist not too long ago...Welcome. You will find anything and everything starcraft you would ever want to know or see. Nice resto job.

barato2

Commander

i mean, spend enough time here and you;ll be DREAMING about rivets :eek:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome to Tin Heaven, the Starmada! Home of the worst cases of MBS :)

barato2

Commander

in my best Travis Bickle voice: "you talkin to me?"

and how did you know i was thinking of making a lowball offer to the lady with the 18' holiday that used to be a 25' chieftain....?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

in my best Travis Bickle voice: "you talkin to me?"

and how did you know i was thinking of making a lowball offer to the lady with the 18' holiday that used to be a 25' chieftain....?

Probably cause the thought is nagging me to go make an offer on a 18' Lone Star cuddy I know of... we must both have serious cases of MBS!

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

welcome aboard, heck all i wanna do is buy ONE starcraft, and ya have me double down already........... nice to meet you.

"We don't need no steenkin reevits!!!!"

:)

barato2

Commander

something akin to Alzheimer's due to all the alum dust we breathe while sanding?

(OBLuvr, sorry about thread hijack....will STFU now......would love to see more pics of your boats, esp in action)

on your Qs: 1. the in/out just refers to in or out of the water. trailer button raises it to max height for safe towing

2. yes, i think there are more things you need to look at when winterizing. good news is you have at least few months to learn em ;-)

3. yes, but i don;t have it handy. don't waste your time with the aftermarket manuals from Seloc.....as one of our sage senior members pointed out, those are mostly good for knee pads

4. yes, exhaust manifold corrosion and cam gears. failure of either can result in your engine being toasted.

North Beach

Commander

Well everyone else answered all the questions so I'll just say welcome....

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, hard not to like someone who is "amazed" and "impressed" about fellow starcraft "lovers". Sssh, don't tell our wives/girlfriends we are in Love with....our boats (the women get jealous). Great to have another SS...ummm Lover on-board:)

Old Boat Luvr

Seaman Apprentice

Okay so the "In" bottom button basically lowers the out drive down correct? and the "UP" top button is supposed to raise it out of the water (if it was working)? So the middle button does what?

Sorry for all the questions. Trying to decide if I can try to get this controller to work again or just pick up an on/off/on momentary switch. I'd like to try to keep it looking as original as possible but I remember with my SS that sometimes it's easier to just tear out the old gauges and switches and replace them all with new.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Up probably just raises it to the top of the "trim" range as opposed to up and out of the water which would be the "trailer" range.

barato2

Commander

the "up/trailer" switch works sorta like one of those driver's-window lowering relays where it lowers the window all the way whe you tap the button. it raises outdrive ALL the way up so you don't rip the skeg off on bumps while towing like PO of my boat did. the middle "up/out" button is the one you'd use to incrementally adjust trim upward. pretty straightforward.

up to you if they are usable. just flush em with contact cleaner and/or WD40 and see if you have continuity after working em a bunch. often helps to first shop vac and then blow out with compressed air to get dust etc out before you start flushing it.