Where can I buy a replacement carburetor? Volvo Penta 5.7

americands

Cadet
So I'm at my witts end. I wanna buy a new carburetor. Boat won't exceed 3k rpm.

1. I bought a new antisiphon valve.
2. I bought a new 3/8'' fuel line going to my fuel pump
3. I took off my fuel pump, the screen is clear.
4. The line going from the fuel pump to carb is clean.
5. I put new NGK's from champion spark plugs.
6. I checked the coil, its perfectly fine.
7. I took off, inspected the carb (was covered with crap which appears to be like.... salt water or water in general gunk). I cleaned it the best I could, I thought I fixed my problem then noticed the accelertor pump wasnt kicking in which increased my rpm from 2500 to about 3,000 but when it hits 3k it just wants to die. It seems fuel deprived).

I'm desperate. Its a nice boat... I wanna buy a new carb.

My research:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-CARB..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a69ca3f7f

That's what I found. My boat currently has a 2BL Holley. There are no numbers on it, it doesnt state anything specific. I called these guys today by phone and they said this carb might not work. They said Id have to switch out the intake manifold and they wouldnt know where to get one.

1. What do I do?
2. Where can I get a carburetor that fits my boat?

Boat specs:
2001 Caravelle Interceptor 212.

Serial:

Product No:

Engine:
Volvo 5.7GSPEFS

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Where can I buy a replacement carburetor? Volvo Penta 5.7

Just get yours rebuilt. You said you cleaned it but it sounded more like you worked on just the outside of it. Plus, the accelerator pump not "kicking in" would not limit rpm.

It is probably a Holley 2300.

Your intake manifold may be a 4bbl already with just a 4 to 2 bbl adapter.

Going to a Rochester would not be a good thing to try if the engine was setup for a Holley, this is regarding fuel lines and throttle linkages.

You should probably post some pics, we may be able to help more on ID-ing the carb and intake.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't need to go run and get a new carb just yet. First off, get yours rebuilt, the kit is under 50bucks. If you are pretty handy, you can give it a go yourself. What about ignition timing?? There is a list of sorts sticky at the top of the VP page that goes throught the reasons for not reaching recommended rpm range. What about your fuel filter?? Is it plugged up? What is the condition of the fuel? The fuel pickup strainer in the tank?? Since the accelerator pump isn't giving a healthy squirt of fuel on acceleration, rebuild the carb, it's 11 years old and is probably in need of a rebuild. Go through the list step by step. You will figure it out with some help from the guys here. A couple of un-named gurus can be an awesome resource on this board.
Here's the link:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=295070

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I agree with the others....

Don't just chuck the carb because you are having issues with it. Rebuild it, or bring it to one of your local carb re-builders and give him some business.

In the end, you will have something that you know will work with your setup.

Additionally, the Q-Jet can be a sweet carb if YOU KNOW how to tune and calibrate it correctly. It's not of those carburetors that you can just pull out of the box and put on any old engine, then expect it to work perfectly.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So I'm at my witts end. I wanna buy a new carburetor. Boat won't exceed 3k rpm.

1. I bought a new antisiphon valve.
2. I bought a new 3/8'' fuel line going to my fuel pump
3. I took off my fuel pump, the screen is clear.
4. The line going from the fuel pump to carb is clean.
5. I put new NGK's from champion spark plugs.
6. I checked the coil, its perfectly fine.
7. I took off, inspected the carb (was covered with crap which appears to be like.... salt water or water in general gunk). I cleaned it the best I could, I thought I fixed my problem then noticed the accelertor pump wasnt kicking in which increased my rpm from 2500 to about 3,000 but when it hits 3k it just wants to die. It seems fuel deprived).

I'm desperate. Its a nice boat... I wanna buy a new carb.

My research:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-CARB..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a69ca3f7f

That's what I found. My boat currently has a 2BL Holley. There are no numbers on it, it doesnt state anything specific. I called these guys today by phone and they said this carb might not work. They said Id have to switch out the intake manifold and they wouldnt know where to get one.

1. What do I do?
2. Where can I get a carburetor that fits my boat?

Boat specs:
2001 Caravelle Interceptor 212.

Serial:

Product No:

Engine:
Volvo 5.7GSPEFS

Listen to all the input you got. The carb probably isn't the problem. IMO, the carb isn't getting enough gas. One of the guys mentioned the pickup which is very easy to overlook. Its in the tank and if the screen is partially blocked the pump can suck all day but to no avail. Check that and also check the pump. It could be sucking air or maybe the diapham is bad. I know what you're going through but step back, count to ten and start to check things AGAIN.

americands

Cadet

Thanks for the responses, the stepping back and counting to 10 was prob the best advice lol - it's really driving me insane. Yesterday I lift up the back seat, and took the anti siphon valve off, it seemed to be ok but I bought another one for the hell of it. I unscrewed the part that went down into the tank about 6-8'', and that tube seemed clear as did the screen on the bottom of it. Going upward, I took off the whole 3/8'' fuel line that led to the fuel pump and it too was clear, but will be replaced when I get the anti siphon in the mail (brass). The fuel pump looked clean, as did the screen leading to the inlet on it.

Going from the fuel pump into the carb, the hose too was also clear and looked like it was in good condition. I also put new NGK's on it, checked the coil and that had a good charge on it. The carburetor looks like sh*****t, so I did take it off and try to clean it up a bit but I probably didnt "rebuild it". I put break fluid (stuff for guns to break free the corrosive crap that was on it) which is leading me to believe its the dam carb. It is a Holley 2BL, with no numbers on it anywhere. It does look like that 2300, which sells for $450ish+ on the net when the 4BL's sell for much less.

1. If I wanted to buy a 4BL Carb on the net and put it on my existing manifold (ill stick with holley), will it work? Do I have to switch out the manifold (I dont know how to do timing or anything which I think needs to be done when replacing this).

2. Where can I find a rebuild kit for a carburetor I dont know I have (since again there are no numbers on it), to rebuild it?

.......since I've done mostly everything else, I'm starting to just assume its this pos carb...

Maclin

Admiral

Regarding going to a 4bbl, you have to determine if the intake manifold on there now is a 2bbl or a 4bbl intake that has an adapter between your carb and the intake. If it is a 2bbl manifold then it has to be changed out for a 4bbl one. If it is a 4bbl manifold adapted to 2bbl carb then it can be used for a 4bbl, just remove the adapter.

Switching out to a 4bbl will not be cost effective in my opinion, and could cloud the real issue or issues. Just have that carb rebuilt, Holley designed them to be totally renewable. Or replace it with a new same-as-yours Holley Marine 2300 if you have to have a new one. Even then a brand new or perfectly rebuilt carb may not fix all of your problems, I have not seen any mention of you testing the fuel pump.

americands

Cadet

Maclin,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.. Is there a way to find out if its a 2bl/4bl carb? Should I go outside right now and flashlight for some numbers to see ? Hell... thats common sense, so im gonna go do that right now. i know that the 2BL carb has like a 1/2'' metal adapter (maybts its a 2bl carb adapter to my 4bl carb)? Im gonna go get some numbers (duh) and ill be right back. Id prefer not to rebuild this carb and just buy a new one.

americands

Cadet

Shoot..... so im young and dumb. Let me post some stuff for you guys to lol about... So i took the screw that went into the gas tank off (and the anti siphon valve) and thought I would cover it with a rag and a brick to prevent stuff from going down into it. I ran the boat for 50+ miles last weekend ont he river, but I did move my boat today. Short story, I went out to look at my intake manifold and smelt gas. I look down, and my brick and rag was wet with gas on the actual tank. Its a very small area. What do I do now? Should I let it sit for a week and assume it'll evapurate? I wiped off as much as I could and now its dry and I put the device back on until I get the new one. The tank looked like it had gas at the top, but again - wtf I ran it for 50+ miles? Did the gas just weigh lighter than air and wanna come upward?

Anyway, my intake manifold: 3856270.

Is this a 2bl/4bl manifold?

Google search just shows obsolete manifold data.

Sh***t I hope I dont blow up!!!

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shoot..... so im young and dumb. Let me post some stuff for you guys to lol about... So i took the screw that went into the gas tank off (and the anti siphon valve) and thought I would cover it with a rag and a brick to prevent stuff from going down into it. I ran the boat for 50+ miles last weekend ont he river, but I did move my boat today. Short story, I went out to look at my intake manifold and smelt gas. I look down, and my brick and rag was wet with gas on the actual tank. Its a very small area. What do I do now? Should I let it sit for a week and assume it'll evapurate? I wiped off as much as I could and now its dry and I put the device back on until I get the new one. The tank looked like it had gas at the top, but again - wtf I ran it for 50+ miles? Did the gas just weigh lighter than air and wanna come upward?

Anyway, my intake manifold: 3856270.

Is this a 2bl/4bl manifold?

Google search just shows obsolete manifold data.

Sh***t I hope I dont blow up!!!

seeing you with same question on two boards... LOL

good news... looks like you have a four barrel intake with an adapter to a 2 barrel carb.

not sure how reliable this is...but here is a picture

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/File:VORTEC_ALUM_INTAKE_VOLVO_PN_3856270.jpg

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there should be a four digit " list XXXX " number on the upper right front edge of the air horn that gives the number you need to order a Holley rebuild kit.

or

get a new Holley 4v

$50.00 (plus some chem-dip, and a little sweat)... vs $400.00 +

Maclin

Admiral

I strongly recommend that you have your carb professionally rebuilt. Please. A mechanic that can rebuild your carb will know if you need a new one or not. Get it running right in stock form, I.E. 2bbl. That way all your linkages and plumbing and wiring will be the same. My recommendations are based on your having to ask if your intake manifold is for a 2bbl or 4bbl. With the carb off it should be very obvious just by looking at the plenum opening where the carb was if it is a 2bbl manifold or a 4bbl manifold with an adapter.

You can then THINK about a 4bbl upgrade after you have it running good for a while.

americands

Cadet

seeing you with same question on two boards... LOL

good news... looks like you have a four barrel intake with an adapter to a 2 barrel carb.

not sure how reliable this is...but here is a picture

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/File:VORTEC_ALUM_INTAKE_VOLVO_PN_3856270.jpg

Yeah, shows how desperate I am for responses!!! lol... but thanks. As for rebuilding it, theres no way in hell im gonna do that now. If its a 4BL intake, why the hell does it have a 2BL carb? Its 11 years old, at least and its not the right carb for this intake. So I guess im gonna buy a 4BL. anyone have any other recommendations other than this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-CARB...ories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a69ca3f7f)??????

Does anyone think the fuel leakage was bad in regards to my young and dumb comment?

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think V/P just used adapters to use 2 barrels on a common 4barrel intake so they didn't have to have two different parts.
You have a Holley carb and that eBay carb is a Rochester, Im thinking you might have some linkage issues if you switch brands.

americands

Cadet

I think V/P just used adapters to use 2 barrels on a common 4barrel intake so they didn't have to have two different parts.
You have a Holley carb and that eBay carb is a Rochester, Im thinking you might have some linkage issues if you switch brands.

So what would u recommend, a Holley 4bl? Any specific make or model? I don't see why they put a 2bl carb on this 4bl manifold....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I recommend a holley. the AQ271's came with a holley 4150 variant. part number 80309 if your going that way.

however I would make sure your problems are your existing carb before just throwing parts at it.

Maclin

Admiral

Americands, your mindset is causing you to try to swim upstream in rapids. Over and out.

HORN X 4

Cadet

I personally went with the Edelbrock 1409. And I am very satisfied with performance and fuel economy ( if you stay out of secondarys :) )

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you remove the fuel pump, you may find the screen inside the pump inlet is partially plugged with paint. It's been happening to the older Volvo's with electric fuel pumps. Seems any paint inside the filter housing is not dealing well with the new ethanol fuels.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So what would u recommend, a Holley 4bl? Any specific make or model? I don't see why they put a 2bl carb on this 4bl manifold....

You are getting sound advice on the problem solving, might not be prudent to just buy a new carb yet. Check out what Don S is saying about the fuel pump screen.

The Holley Marine 4 barrels are available in several variations/styles. If you go that route you need to get your old stuff off and investigate linkage design, bolt pattern/square or spread-bore, choke type, fuel inlet, mechanical or vacuum secondary etc.

I really think you need to follow the advice of others and find a reputable shop to rebuild the one you have. I would think you could get that done for around $250.00 to $300.00... just a guess.