How hard is it to replace the transom shift cable?

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

I've got a 21.5' Four Winns with a Ford 5.0 and an OMC Cobra outdrive that needs a new shift cable (shifting is extremely difficult and the engine stalls when put into gear once warm).
Now, I have access to quite a few tools, I like learning, and have always done all of my own maintenance on all of my cars (everything from oil changes to turbo replacements), and have done a full tune-up on this boat motor... but none of it really amounts to much more than just turning bolts and swapping things.

How hard is it to replace this cable? Would you recommend a "shade-tree" mechanic like myself perform the task?
Will there likely be a need for extensive adjustments after replacing it?
Would I need specialized tools?

I realize there's a lot of literature on the subject (and yes I have read the Hastings site :)), but I still don't really have a grasp of how "involved" the process is.

Should I try it, or take it to a mechanic (and pay lots more)?
Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How hard is it to replace the transom shift cable?

I just replaced mine, it wasn't that bad of a job but it took me a bit of time. Just because I was nervous of the thing stripping gears and blowing up if I was off by 1/32 of an inch. I got the drive back on and shifting well on muffs. Two points that was never explained was what the hell are you adjusting? Well, it is the collar thingy on the outdrive. I made my own tool to hold the cable end dimension, then adjust the drive end until the pivot arm is at 90 degrees. The only other problem I had was that it wouldn't shift out of forward. This I adjusted out using the trunion on the engine end of the cable. Also, remove the pivot housing, install the cable, and thread the cable through the tube (lubricated with dish soap) and install the pivot housing. Then adjust and install the outdrive.

I documented the entire process, and will post a thread in the next few days.

sam60

Captain

The most important thing, as wcasey says, documentation. Pictures are great and a must, but take all the measurements too.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply - anxiously awaiting your write-up!

I went ahead and ordered a new shift cable, gasket and u-joint bellows; I figure even if I have it done at a shop, buying my own parts will save me some money.
Been doing some reading (I have the factory manual), and I have the feeling that things seem more complicated when you're reading them than they are in reality (at least I hope so).
I'm nervous to try this on my own, since being off even a little bit can cost me a set of gears, but I'm also nervous about trusting someone else to do it...

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, I was thinking... what if I were to remove the outdrive and replace/adjust the cable myself, then took the boat to a shop to have them re-install the outdrive? This would give someone a chance to "check my work", and that way they could align the gimbal bearing and I wouldn't have to buy a tool.

What do you think?

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought the allignment tool off e-bay. It was $29 and $14 shipping, so $44 total. Using it is a bit more nuanced than it looks, I had to drop the front of my engine about 1/8 inch for it to line up. Having someone come behind me to check that would be worth it. But I tested mine on muffs last night and it seems to work fine. Sea trials tomorrow.

The biggest problem with the downloaded manual is that the pictures are not clear. And the procedure is spread over different sections if you are changing both the cable and housing, which is what should be done every time IMO.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright, just ordered the gimbal alignment tool. Decided to tackle this myself! :) After doing a bit more reading, I think I can figure it out.
Still would LOVE to see your write-up though.

How did you drop the front of your engine?

Also, just wanted to double check here... other than:

shift cable
outdrive gasket
u-joint bellows
gimbal alignment tool

grease
glue/sealant (for the bellows)

Anything else I will need or should do while I'm in there?? (already changed the outdrive lube).

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just replaced mine, it wasn't that bad of a job but it took me a bit of time. Just because I was nervous of the thing stripping gears and blowing up if I was off by 1/32 of an inch. I got the drive back on and shifting well on muffs. Two points that was never explained was what the hell are you adjusting? Well, it is the collar thingy on the outdrive. I made my own tool to hold the cable end dimension, then adjust the drive end until the pivot arm is at 90 degrees. The only other problem I had was that it wouldn't shift out of forward. This I adjusted out using the trunion on the engine end of the cable. Also, remove the pivot housing, install the cable, and thread the cable through the tube (lubricated with dish soap) and install the pivot housing. Then adjust and install the outdrive.

Looking forward to this...

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, just ordered the gimbal alignment tool. Decided to tackle this myself! :) After doing a bit more reading, I think I can figure it out.
Still would LOVE to see your write-up though.

How did you drop the front of your engine?

Also, just wanted to double check here... other than:

shift cable
outdrive gasket
u-joint bellows
gimbal alignment tool

grease
glue/sealant (for the bellows)

Anything else I will need or should do while I'm in there?? (already changed the outdrive lube).

The engine drops with adjustment bolts on the motor mounts.. they screw up and down... but normally if you are just changing what you plan to change, there should be no reason for the engine to be moved, unless it wasn't adjusted right to begin with..

I noticed you are changing the U-Joint bellows, but make no mention of the exhaust bellows.. if one is bad, they normally both are..

If you haven't already seen this, here is some good reading http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The engine drops with adjustment bolts on the motor mounts.. they screw up and down... but normally if you are just changing what you plan to change, there should be no reason for the engine to be moved, unless it wasn't adjusted right to begin with..
You always need to check it. I have had to adjust mine over the years as things tend to settle.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I noticed you are changing the U-Joint bellows, but make no mention of the exhaust bellows.. if one is bad, they normally both are..

If you haven't already seen this, here is some good reading http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/
Thanks.
I only ordered the u-joint bellows, but if the exhaust bellows are bad I will replace them as well.
An yeah, I've read that site you linked to a lot! :)

You always need to check it. I have had to adjust mine over the years as things tend to settle.
Yeah, that's what I keep reading; sounds like it's not a bad thing to know how to do and have the tool for anyway.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The exhaust bellows are not critical at all. Replace it later when you get one. I usually replace my u-joint bellows multiple times before I ever change the exhaust.