my $80 Evinrude, +$50 new tank, $3 spark plug new lower unit oil

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9gsXkfeWSb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> here she is

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 0

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: my $80 Evinrude, +$50 new tank, $3 spark plug new lower unit oil

Nice find. You might want to swap out the fuel lines under the cowl to ethanol resistant ones. Also make sure you run it on 24:1 that engine uses bushings and unfortunately 50:1 doesn't provide enough lube.

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

took it catfishing lst sunday all night, took us 3 miles up the lake and back with no hiccups ...was using a 3.5 eska and the bait shop manager offered me this one because he seen me beating myself up trying to get the Eska going on the lake a month ago, pitty can be good at times...lol

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

that damned Eska runs like a monster for 10 minutes then goes to crap...still on the hunt for a fix on the thing, my dad thinks it has a valve seat out, because it heats up and thats all she wrote until it cools down.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice little motor. I have one identical to it. On crap....better go out and check if mine is still there..:eek:

Yes, I second the 24:1 mix rule on that. It may say 50:1, but ignore it. The one I have, I put new crank and rods in it for a guy who blew it up. Luckily the block wasn't damaged.

Looks like yours is about the same year as mine too. Mine is a 1970 model.

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

yes, it is a 1970 model as well, im in love with this little motor....;)

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

i have it on a 1968 12ft smokercraft jon.....she just glides accross the water with 2 people and probably 200# of gear

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Perfect match. As you can see in my signature, I have lots of those smaller motors perfect for a 12 footer.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet little motor. Give it enough oil, as recommended previously, make sure the impeller is serviced before it breaks up, replace the internal fuel line with ethanol-tolerant replacements and you should be in great shape. Proper carb cleaning & rebuilding as a matter of regular service as well. O.K., maybe a cylinder wall deglazing & fresh rings, plus a head gasket. Make sure your gearcase does not have water intrusion, then keep fresh gear oil in it, and you will have that motor for a very long time.

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

where might i find the fuel line for the internal? also what is the best way to deglaze the cylinder wall? and the rings and head gasket, where would i find all those new parts? impeller was sqeaky when i dry pulled it before buying, but quited down after hiting some water...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, Morel_Master, I just looked and my Lightwin is still where I last put it. :D:D

The fuel line is easily obtainable at any parts store. Just make sure you specify fuel line.

As far as cylinder wall glazing? No worries. Just take that motor out and run it.

Yes, a dry impeller will squeek when dry and quiet down after it gets water in it. DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT WATER. You'll burn it up in seconds. If you don't know the age of the impeller, it's best to replace it, for good piece of mind.