C17fly

Cadet
I'm now the proud owner of a 1998 Glastron GS-249 cruiser. It has a Volvo Penta

5.7 GS PBYC and VP SX-C1 Cobra 1:51 outdrive. It hasn't been run in several

years (not sure exactly how many) so I'm getting ready to clean it up and "give

it a go" as the Brits say. I'm a pretty competent shade tree mechanic so I'm

comfortable with this engine (Chevy 350) but wanted to get some tips on the

outdrive especially. I don't want to get it running then find out I should've

done this or that first and just ruined something expensive!

I'm OK with checking the engine compression, fuel system and ignition system.

But as far as items unique to a boat go, I'm worried about the raw water

impeller but not sure if I should test it somehow first, or take it apart and

inspect it or simply replace it first regardless. I did already buy one because

I read on these posts that it's a good idea to carry a spare anyway.

For the outdrive I don't know how to proceed much there at all. It's held up

with a nylon tie strap and I don't know how to deal with the hydraulic

cylinders. Do I simply remove the strap, let it down slowly and see if it

falls? Should I bleed off some hydraulic fluid to let them relax?

Once down I can check the gear oil for quantity and quality. The prop has been

removed (and I wasn't planning on buying a new one until it's proven to be a

good investment). I'm thinking that I won't worry about the seals and bellows

until it all seems to run then I'll buy and replace both prior to sea trials.

Is that a sound plan?

As you can see, I'm not very knowledgable about the outdrive, I thought about

trying to remove the whole thing and run the engine first and go over all the

outdrive bearings, seals, u-joints, bellows, etc on the bench but I can't figure

out how the engine would get cooling water that way or if that's more work or

less overall.

Any tips you experienced sea dogs can provide would be greatly appreciated! I

know there's a lot for me to do here but I'm not worried about taking my time so

if someone would be wiling to give me a pointer on the first thing or two to do

I'm ready to get started.

nitwhit

Seaman
Re: Volvo Penta SX-C1 Cobra Outdrive Startup

Welcome aboard. To aid you adventures, look in the adult?s only post that is stickied at the top of the forum for valuable info. I believe there were manuals in there as well at one time but if not, hopefully someone can come along and help you with those. You can also look here for parts diagrams to help you out.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Transmissions-7749307/dm/*******.075710964--session_id.884795113--store_id.366--view_id.779314

Good thing on replacing the impeller as it has been sitting for so long it will need it. They are an annual replacement item anyway. As for the drive, the ?strap? holding it up has me a little concerned unless the hydraulic rams are not attached to the drive as they will hold the drive up on their own. Remove it and see if the drive will remain up or if it begins to droop due to the seals leaking. No need to bleed any fluid.

You can use your trim switch to raise and lower the drive. Some have a limit feature which has a method to override it to raise the drive completely for trailering. It is best to store the boat with the drive as far down as possible to limit stress on the bellows.

You definitely need to inspect and replace the fluid in the drive and remove it to check the condtion of the ujoints and gimbal bearing as well as the bellows. Pretty simple to do but making a stand to place it on will make it much easier to work on. Do a search for drive stands for some ideas.

To pull the drive, remove the bolts holding the oil fill/shift linkage cover (typically has the SX decal on it) and disconnect the shifter cable and remove the brass adjustment nut from the cable too. Then remove the pivot pin holding the rams to the drive above the prop (take care not to damage the threads as they usually require persuasion). Next remove the six nuts (3 on each side) that are recessed in the slots (use a wobble or u-joint socket) to separate the drive from the transom housing. The drive should then pull straight off hopefully unless corrosion has set in.

Drain the fluid and look for water. If no water is present, replace it with a 75-90 synthetic gear oil (like Mobil 1) as that is also a yearly maintenance item. It?s a good idea to replace the o-rings on those drain/fill/dipstick bolts as well. If water is in the oil, you will need to pressure test the drive to find what is leaking. You also need to check the coupler alignment at this point too with an alignment tool. If all looks good and the gimbal spins nice and smooth, grease the splines, gimbal and u-joints, replace and grease the two o-rings on the shaft plus the water passage sealing gasket (big odd shaped o-ring) and re-attach the drive.

As a side note, you can also run the motor with the drive off by putting a water hose in the intake hose on the transom shield if you need to troubleshoot it while you have the drive removed. Hope it all checks out but if not, plenty of help available here.

C17fly

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta SX-C1 Cobra Outdrive Startup

Thanks for your reply! That's exactly the kind of direction I was looking for. I had looked around here and elsewhere for a SX manual and didn't find one but ended up getting a whole set of 5 actual VP manuals from Capt. Glen on eBay (not hard-to-read photocopies!) so that will be quite useful.

The strap on the outdrive appears to be only for taking the stress off the hydraulic cylinders during trailering but I guess I'll find out. I'll get started on this as work and family allow and keep posting my progress and findings.