Too small for Lake ontario?

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im not too sure if i posted this in the right spot, so sorry in advance if it has to be moved.

hey guys, I am almost done working on my first boat and im getting ready to take it out for the first time. I have been checking out all the boat launches in my area trying to figure out the best spot to launch it.

I have a quick question that im hoping someone can help me with. I have a 14 foot fiberglass boat ( I'll post picks ) and im a little nervous about putting it in lake ontario. I have never really been in a boat before so i have no idea if i should be fine, or if im crazy for even considering it.

I live pretty close to the hamilton harbour, so i know ill be fine in there.. but i would prefer to get it out on the open lake.

if anyone could share their experience or give me some advise, i would be very appreciative.

thanks in advance!..

I'm not to sure if you can really see the size and design of the boat from this picture.. if so just tell me and ill go take a better pic when im off of work.

sexyboat505.jpg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Too small for Lake ontario?

Congrats on getting water ready. As you know, Ontario can kick up some serious wind and water. I'd say your boat is good for protected areas and maybe venturing out a bit along the shoreline as long as you are real sure of the weather and winds. Winds out of the west and north I think you'd be fine venturing out from Hamilton a bit. But be real careful of increasing and prolonged winds coming in across the lake at you. They can quite quickly evolve into more than that boat can handle.

That's just my .02 from lotsa years operating a 17 foot IO around Scarborough Bluffs, Ashbridges Bay, Toronto Islands and points west.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Hey dstroud1987. Nice boat.. 14 ft would be a bit small on the Great lakes, but looks like you fixed her up pretty good. Are you thinking on bringing her up to the fresh lakes up north for a week in the summer?

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the quick replys.

i dont plan on being in the greak lakes very muhch this summer. Ive just always seen boats just off of shore when i go o the lake side festivals in burlington and oakville and towards toronto and they look like they are having more fun lol figured i would have to try it out finally this summer.

thanks for the comment riptorn.. i still have to gu my carpet in this weejend and bot the seats in.. and then give her a good shine. shes going to look a whole lot better then it does in that photo.

i plan on spending my summer up north every weekend this summer and doing some camping.. and im sure at some point ill spend a week somewhere. i started looking into finding the best lakes for fishing last week and my girlfirend and i decided that we woud have to fish a new lake everyweekend and see what we like :) i cant wait!

thanks again guys!

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there wasnt too many nice lakes around here.. plus nothing beats fishing the fresh beautiful lakes in north ontario!

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is a bit of an off topic question but does anyone know if there is good bass or pike fishing in hamilton harbour?

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hahaha thats pretty much what i thought. do you know of any good bass lakes within a few hours burlington? i cant wait until the season opens in a few weeks!

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

If your up by Bancroft maybe we'll meet up. No Pike but a lot of Bass and Trout and don't forget Musky and perch. lol

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

II may take you up on the offer this summer.... I have never managed to catch a musky before.. im hopiing my boat will really increase the amount of fish i catch this year.. just talking about it gets me excited lol