Expert challlenge -- Extra Bolt -- 1998 90hp doesn't need as many as I have...

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How embarrassing -- I've come to beg assistance. After an impeller check, everything is back together and working (on muffs). Except one furshlugginer bolt has appeared! It matches others on the engine perfectly but I can discover no use for it. I've even pulled the lower unit and impeller again to be certain that it wasn't omitted. Aarrgh! What a treat!

Specifically, the bolt is a perfect match for those that hold the flywheel cover, of which I count 15 in place. I can't be sure that all 15 are identical because I had no reason to pull those but it exactly matches the one I checked.

It came upon me to split the lower cases this time to clean everything up. Trouble is, I had to discover how simply they were attached and might have ad-lib'd a bit in the process. Dunno, but now I have an extra bolt and it keeps me awake at night.

I'd like to presume that the cases have never been split (engine has been trouble free all of 438 hours) and that some diabolical assembler dropped a flywheel-cover bolt and left it wandering about all this time. But I doubt that, probably as much as you do...

If you are still with me, it is 1/4 x 1" stainless with a 3/8 (not 7/16) head with a built in washer-face just like the flywheel cover bolts. It is uniformly grimy with 3/8' factory-uniform yellow thread lock halfway down. Engine is 1998 e90elecm.

Can anyone guess what critical piece is about to fall off at the worst possible moment?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Expert challlenge -- Extra Bolt -- 1998 90hp doesn't need as many as I have...

Can't tell your where its from but maybe someone dropped it into the leg or in the pan somewhere when assembling the motor at some point, and you freed it from its sleep.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Expert challlenge -- Extra Bolt -- 1998 90hp doesn't need as many as I have...

I have seen that before, someone drops a bolt down in the leg and just gets a replacement bolt instead of chasing it. Get some sleep for petes sake. :rolleyes:

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope that's it but hey, I've been wrong before!

Not really losing sleep but it haunts me. I wish for a where-used by part number illustration.