Hot Horn for 72 50hp

skipper711

Seaman Apprentice
Am I correct in assuming the Hot Horn off the above motor is just an audible warning and could be replaced with a warning light fitted to the steering console of my boat?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hot Horn for 72 50hp

I think it can be done alright. The hot horn is simply a 12 volt beeper so any 12 volt indicator light should work ok.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just remember, the horn really gets your attention!!

If you are distracted by other boaters (bad driving, cutting you off, or the occasional "what the heck is this guy doing"), hazards, bright bright sunshine/reflections, etc...then you may not notice the light for some time.

You can't un-overheat your engine if it suffers real damage.

Is it the price of a new hot-horm that's getting you?
cuz I fully understand that...they are a bit pricey...but cheaper than ruining other expensive parts.

If you think that you will clearly see it no matter what, then yes it can be done.
Maybe get a flashing light.

skipper711

Seaman Apprentice

I know what you mean about not being able to un-overheat.

My thoughts were not unlike your own, the difference being I thought maybe would I hear it if there was a din going on in the boat or I was distracted by something.

The price is not an issue, might fit both, belt and braces and all that. Overheating is what I don't want.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stick with the orginial over heat horn. It will defineatly let you know if there's a prob.

skipper711

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have an original which was the point of my question, but from the advice it seems I would be better off buying one.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A hot horn is cheap when you consider the damage that could be done if an off brand is used and doesn't work.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

They make LED strobes you could parallel wire it to for dash mount. After reading this I might do that just as a fail safe. I think Autozone sells those for less than $10.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you put an over heat light in the dash, You're going back in time with OMC.

skipper711

Seaman Apprentice

boobie, tell me more, love to know about history especially about boats.

From the wiring diagram I am assuming the Hot Horn is mounted remotely ie steering console and therefore I can mount any 12v buzzer (thats loud enough of course) and a flashing 12v strobe, this makes a lot of sense to me because of the damage an overheat may cause.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a '72 johnson 85hp and the horn is just under the dash near the remote box.

If you do end up going with both let us know how it turns out.

Now I'm thinking about adding in a strobe too.