Weekend Boat Ramp Report - Upper Chesapeake

Philster

Captain
Saturday afternoon, after getting the house squared away, I decided to head out to our little joint off the Sassafras, where I cut the lawn, then walked down the block to watch the boat ramp follies. I had a cold drink with me, and had grabbed a spot on a picnic table in the shade.

I am still amazed -- and I mean utterly amazed -- at the number of people who don't move -- they stand on the dock or in the boat and make no effort whatsoever. I mean, they could be sitting on the boat as it swings out from the pier (say because they didn't bother to grab a line or hold the stern on) and just let the thing go all over the place. Meanwhile, the bow is secured, so we have a big swinging boat with people on it and someone on the pier.

OMG... their solution is to fire up the engine and try to back out of the ramp area. Of course, it becomes a mess with a current and a ramp area not wide enough for maneuvering. No one decides to walk a line to the stern and pull it in.

Also, and I vented about this before: Why are grown men, who are covered in filth from being on a boat all day, afraid to get their feet wet? I mean, SERIOUSLY, you look like a guy who would sleep for four days in a pickup truck and walk around with carp on your butt to shoot a deer during hunting season, but you will go to the ends of the earth to not get your ankles wet? You have a carp trailer and you have dunked it too deep. Okay... maybe it will only load like that, but could you just get your ankles wet and pull your boat onto the winch hook? No? This doesn't work for you? Here we go with the climb all over boat/trailer/truck/women/children/whatever to spare your feetsies! How cute!

My favorite was the waverunner guy launching alone. He had a line that was at least 30' long. He ties his waverunner up at the bow, and it goes drifting/swinging way out into the whole ramp area. Someone complained. He said, "I only have one rope; I will be right back."

Really? One rope (line)? For the love of Og! That line can be secured to the back and another cleat, too! :facepalm:

It usually goes from entertaining to frustrating; even when I am not launching!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Weekend Boat Ramp Report - Upper Chesapeake

It remains as one of my life goals to sit at the local dock and watch the follies from both launching and general docking.

It seems that there are as many ways of launching a boat as there are people in the world. Many of these methods provide a good level of entertainment, and some even an element of danger. All good viewing material.

Of course, I must admit . . . at times I have provided the entertainment at the dock/ramp. :D

Philster

Captain

My life goal is to provide no entertainment!

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That would be great entertainment. I wish I had video of my several solo launches. HAHA i'd be lucky to only get my feet wet. My first time i launched good jumped out into waist deep water to go park the truck and noticed my cell was in my soaking wet cargo pocket....... U would have enjoyed my stomping and cursing.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

One of the best viewing days of the year is comming up at the end of this month. Memorial Day, the official boating season kickoff weekend in my neck of the woods. If it ain't broke it will be by the end of the day. Ironically, the weekend after Memorial Day is one of the quietest seasonal weekends of the year and is when I take off for two months of high Sierra desert lake and stream fishing. By the time I get back the lessons learned make the local lakes more tollerable until next year when it all starts again.

Philster

Captain

I move to another boat ramp that day. I stopped at a place called Stemmers Run. Nice views of the open waters. First guy and his wife that launched: Forgot the plug.

Out they go; in they come; he goes running, and gets the truck... and he loads the boat onto the trailer to haul it out, and it is a big/deep center console, and his truck was probably maxed with it lightly loaded, and that freakin' boat resisted. I mean, I was about to tell him to just get the plug out of the water and let it drain on the ramp, but he went ahead and pulled that bathtub up and away from the ramp (no one was waiting) and his truck was not happy!

Fifteen minutes later, water is still draining and his wife his hugging him and not letting go, because her life just flashed before her eyes.

It made the next launch, a Donzi classic, look normal, even though this guy apparently poured hours into his boat getting it shiny and fresh, only to launch it into a ramp area that faces open/rough water, and the side piers are not bumpered (just raw wood)... and he has zero fenders.

Was painful to watch. I offered help. He blew me off.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Phil...are you getting soft? Get some water under your keel...you're spendin too much time at the ramp!;)

Philster

Captain

Haha. I have almost nine hours on the Check and put five hours on 'er on Sunday! Enough to finally clear stage one of break-in! At 10 hours, she'll stop getting pumped with double oil and be completely free to roar.

:)