Looking for some information on Lake Winnipesaukee public access ramps

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been on Winnisquam more times than I can count but I have never been on Winnipesaukee, Basically I am looking for some recommendations on public boat launches that I can use and what time do they fill up etc. Paying a ramp fee or parking is not an issue.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking for some information on Lake Winnipesaukee public access ramps

On the north and west end of the lake, you have Meredith, Center Harbor, Lee's Mill. Lee's Mill is never full, free, and usually really quiet. The only issue is that it's really far from the main part of the lake and navigation up that way is fairly challenging. Be sure to have a chart. Center Harbor has parking that's a long walk and Meredith has limited space for backing, so a big boat/big truck are a bad idea there.

I prefer Downing's Landing in Alton Bay. It's a pay lot, but it's very convenient from south eastern NH. Alton Bay also has a free ramp, but the parking is more than a mile away.

Wolfeboro has a couple of free ramps, one is downtown. Parking there is an issue. There's another at the north end of Winter Harbor, not sure about parking there, never used it.

You can launch at Fays boatyard in Gilford for a fee. Parking is reasonably close.

There are more.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the ramp downtown in Wolfboro as I was with my Uncle one time when we used it. We didn't have to worry about parking as my cousin drove the truck and trailer back to my Uncles camp and we drove the boat to the camp and picked him up.

I will find the ramps on a map and make a decision. I also need to get some charts for the lake as I don't have GPS.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the ramp downtown in Wolfboro as I was with my Uncle one time when we used it. We didn't have to worry about parking as my cousin drove the truck and trailer back to my Uncles camp and we drove the boat to the camp and picked him up.

I will find the ramps on a map and make a decision. I also need to get some charts for the lake as I don't have GPS.

Bizer chart is the most accurate, and if you are familiar with ocean charts, it will be easy to read. The Duncan chart is easier to read, either works fine. There's a smart phone Winnipesuakee chart app available.

What part of the lake do you plan to visit?

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Uncle used to own a camp on the lake but that was back in the 60s through early 80s. Last time I was on the lake in a boat was in say 82 or 83. I would like to find the camp and boat by it. His camp was off Railroad Ave at junction with Smith Point Road in West Alton. I also have some friends with a place in Wolfboro in the Edmunds Cove area. Other than that I have no set plans.