Tilt Shaft Shearing

openshaws

Recruit
I keep shearing tilt shafts when putting the outdrive down on a 1975 OMC 190HP stern drive. Shaft is approx. 5/16" diameter, 8" long that conects tilt box worm gear to tilt motor. <br />Other than "tapping" the switch until the drive is full-down, is there something I can do or does the tilt box need maintenance? Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tilt Shaft Shearing

I Know Absolutely Nothing about OMCs,........<br /><br />But,..... I'd be Looking for a source of Binding........Maybe something Needs Greasing.....<br /><br />Anyway,...... This'll get your post back up to the top of page 1................ ;) <br /><br />Welcome to iboats.......

openshaws

Recruit

Thanks Bondo! I don't think the problem is binding - quite the opposite - the drive gets to the full down position way too fast. The outdrive and gearbox move freely and the motor and shaft are clear. The problem is that when lowering the outdrive, it gets to the bottom with such momentum (BONK) that it sometimes shears the tilt shaft if the motor is still engaged. This doesn't seem right that I should have to tap the switch and nurse the outdrive to the full down position, does it? Anyone with OMC advice? Thanks!<br /><br />P.S. Glad to be with iboats! I have been monitoring posts for several months now -- great people and great stuff!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by sto21:<br /> This doesn't seem right that I should have to tap the switch and nurse the outdrive to the full down position, does it?
May not "seem" but that is what you should do. I have never (30 yrs) just pushed the toggle until it goes clunk.