Evinrude 115 wont rev under load !!??!!

V8_TITAN

Recruit
hey all, im going nuts here. Ill try to be short. I have a 2002 evinrude 115 ficht motor (to all the ficht haters, I have less then a thousand into this whole boat with the motor so if it blows, it blows but for now I would like to try and have some fun with it..). It was sold as a used unit in 2005 and rigged to a boat, run dry for storage, and sat until I got it a few months ago.. Ive replaced the fuel lines, and filters, plugs (indexed properly), and new impeller... compression is around 120 all 4 cylinders.

before I did the plugs it would only rev to about 1800 to 2000 in the water, any more throttle made it stutter like it was missing... I changed the plugs with ngk and now it will rev to about 2000 to 2500 75% of the time, 2500 to 3000 10%, 3000 to 3500 7% and up to 4000 maybe 3% of the time... but never any higher then 4k rpm. when I rev out of gear half the time it will rev up past 4k no problem, half the time it will rev but sound likes its missing. if I pull a plug wire at idle sometimes it will shut the motor off, sometimes if will drop the rpm low and sometimes it has little affect... I think it has something to due with when the motor is missing for whatever reason...Ive checked everything I can think of..googled everything I could think of... I just dont know !

maybe the injectors are not opening all the way ? im running a plastic fuel tank and evinrude xd50 ? or xd100 oil... maybe some sea foam may help ? the primer bulb stays firm. I just dont know, I probably only have about 5 hours on the motor since I woke it up from its sleep, and I dont mind taking it to the dealer after I gave it my all but they have a 2 week wait with appointment... so any ideas, hints, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated...

also one more thing, I found 3 wires that are part of the main harness, black blue and grey... yes blue not purple... the dealer tells me no its no blue it is purple and its for a tach, are they right and im color blind or what ? lol thanks again

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 115 wont rev under load !!??!!

You can use a timing light to check the spark and see if you have a cylinder or two that is dropping the spark when it is acting up.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get the engine to a mechanic that has EVDiags. He can test the spark capacity of the EMM. He can check for the right values on everything, like system voltages and etc. This will save you time and money in the long run. Trying to troubleshoot these engines without the diags program is usually fruitless. Here is a hint, reving it up out of gear is a useless and can be bad for the engine. These engines turn up pretty quick and overreving it could lead to a window on the outside of the block. :) Another hint....If it is not running right and you run it to "fix" the problem, you might end up burning a piston. Have one right now in my shop with a burnt piston, it ain't pretty.

V8_TITAN

Recruit

thanks, I haven't tried the timing light yet. and multi, I new it was bad to rev out of gear but I didnt pin it to the the limiter or anything. I was hoping reving it a little might blow something out if it was clogged. you any where near tampa fl ? I dont mind driving some if it means my boat wont sit for weeks to have a 1 hour diag done.

V8_TITAN

Recruit

ok just put some seafoam in and ran it for about 20 minutes, right after I shut it off, I pulled the plugs and they were hardly even warm, the engine was cool to the touch also !? ive never checked that before but it seamed odd to me. is it normal for it to stay that cool ? Im thinking maybe with my garden hose its just cooling it off extremely well ? or my t stat is stuck open ??? also did another compression test, 3 were at 110 psi and one was at 100.