please help asap 1985 25 hp evinrude

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice
i changed the water pump and that works fine hooorayyy lol but now the motor only runs in forward even when its in neutral i need to reset the gears how do i do that need help asap thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: please help asap 1985 25 hp evinrude

Did you get the shift linkage attached properly?
Disconnect the the shift linkage at the lower unit and see if you can shift it properly at the lower unit, if so you need to adjust the shift linkage.

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

bare with how do i know i have it right thanks for your knowledge

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

how do i adjust the shift linkage

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Disconnect the shift linkage at the lower unit, can you shift the linkage going to the lower unit and have forward, neutral and reverse?
If so you need to have the lower unit in neutral, attach the shift rod and adjust until the shifter is in neutral. Then move the shifter through the gears and see if you have them when the shifter is in the proper position. You might have to spin the prop while shifting.

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

how do i get the lower unit in neutral

JARED T

Seaman

on mine i would remove the vent covers where you unscrewed the shift rod and the bottom rod would work the lower unit gear pawl .put that in nutural where the prop spins freely then adjust the shift handle on the motor to the nutural and carefully screw the rods togather without moveing anything .that should do it .