Boat Pulls Hard To The Right.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

txhillbilly85

Recruit
I recently bought a 1989 Starcraft 17ft Bass Boat with a 1983 150hp Mariner outboard motor. The motor runs excellent but its scary to drive at high speed cause I got to hold the steering wheel to the left and if I let the wheel go the wheel spins by itself as far right as it can go. (ALMOST SENT ME AIRBORNE). It is just like driving a car with the front end out of alignment. But when Im crusing at lower speed it is easier to turn left but it still not steering like it should. And also since I have to hold the wheel to the left, the left side of the boat is lower than the right side. So when you are riding and going full throttle the boat leans left, you almost crash cause your arm starts cramping from holding the wheel to the hard left and by the time you get to the fishin hole you arm is too tired to even try to fish. Im new to the boat world. I have driven a few and I know that they dont steer like this. I have greased all the grease fittings as well. Can somebody please help me with this problem.

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: Boat Pulls Hard To The Right.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Sounds like you need to adjust/replace your trim tab. There's a little "fin" that's on the lower unit just behind the prop. When I got my boat it was missing entirely and very unsafe to drive. With it installed and properly adjusted it's back to perfect.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome to iboats! Halfmoa is right on the target... try adjusting the little fin above the prop on your lower unit. Again, welcome aboard!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

It will take very little to correct turns the same diriction of the side it pull to. Had this on a 22 Holiday with a 200 Johnson on the test run when I bought it moved it about 1/2-to3/4 inch and problem solved ran it for 6 years and just sold it two weeks ago. good luck.

dave 524

Seaman

My trim tab sits where the dealer set it 30 years ago, right dead centre. What I found that from a stop and hitting the throttle I have the engine all the way down to control bow rise, as it come on plane it starts pulling at the wheel but trimming out you hit a point with neutral steering torque and all is fine, also that point seems to be ideal for top speed and rpm.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

The tab is to compensate for the engine torque. If the Dealer set it dead center its most likley wrong. You still need to eliminate the hard pull to the Starboard side and it should make no difference on the speed of the boat. It has no effect on rise of the boat only a set of TRIM TABS would do that. A hard pull on hole hot and a bit of distraction could be BIG trouble. I have had a ton of boats of all sorts for 60 years . This is good advise. IMHO --- ED Pugetsound

barato2

Commander

guys, i hate to say it but i think he may be describing something besides a misadjusted torque tab. his condition sounds pretty extreme and if slightly out adjustment tab could cause the easily-lethal situ he describes, the product liability lawyers would have forced em to revise it. i suspect it's something more serious. dunno what though.