Over heating Gremlin

wire knot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,
This is a 2010 5.ol gxi/sx that has been perfect...untill,

This past weekend I had just left the ramp, at idle speed. Looking down at the guage I saw it was about 170 (always nailed on 150).
WTH? I shut her down and tilted up, no debris, put her back down, fired up, still rising. So I shut down again and took the manifold hoses of the thermostat. they seemed dry, Themo not opening? Took the inlet hose off the pump and blew hard having someone check the outdrive, lots of bubbles, put that hose back on, and removed the pump outlet, fired it up and a couple seconds later, lots of water. I put that hose back on and fired up again, temp started comming down and stayed at 150 all day, 44 miles worth, also when flushing out.

I'm baffeled, We didn;t see any debris in the OD inlets when I blew.
Anyone ever heard of this before? Should I change the impeller?
Any Ideas would be great thanks.

WK

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Over heating Gremlin

Sounds like you were sucking air somewhere. My boat had identical symptoms when I picked it up. Pretty irritating. Check your hose clamps. My issue was the old style pump that had plastic inlet/outlet tubes pressed into the metal housing. I think the newer pumps are all metal. If not, that may be your problem.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at the impeller (If it's still the original, replace it). First thing you do with any overheating situation.
It's even recommended to replace the impeller yearly. Have you?

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Look at the impeller (If it's still the original, replace it). First thing you do with any overheating situation.
It's even recommended to replace the impeller yearly. Have you?

While your at the store, buy two and keep a spare on the boat just in case...

wire knot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys,
Sucking air was my first thought(I left the flushing plug out one time). This pump housing is metal.
I'm sure ya'll are right about the impeller, and I'll get a spare.
It hasn't been changed, 80 hours seems awfull early, I;ll get it done.

Thanks a again,
WK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is more to it than just the 80 hours it's been used. It's also a 2010 or earlier pump and the impeller sits in the housing with half the vanes bent over.. Watch when you pull the old one out. Bet the vanes on the impeller stay bent over, and if they don't flex, then it doesn't pump.

wire knot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is more to it than just the 80 hours it's been used. It's also a 2010 or earlier pump and the impeller sits in the housing with half the vanes bent over.. Watch when you pull the old one out. Bet the vanes on the impeller stay bent over, and if they don't flex, then it doesn't pump.

Thanks Don

WK

wire knot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update....
Changed the empeller this week. The vanes weren't stiff. They were too flexible. Each vane was cracked almost all the way down the center. None were broken. but a couple were close. Ran all day yesterday, perfect.
Thanks
DL