1969 johnson 4hp..... WATER in my OIL? Need Help Quick

Hey Guys and Gals,

This is my first time posting on a boat forum, proberley because I just recently purchased my first boat! So I also recieved a 1969 Johnson 4hp 2 stroke. Hasnt been started in 15 years but the hard work is complete.....I think. I got it strated, first replacing the pull cord, 2 spark plugs, and finally sanding down the points which all rewarded me by turning over after a few pulls! I inspected the water pump as directed by a friend that has been boating for years. Rubber looks good but I bought a spare just in case.

My only and final problem is upon inspecting the oil reservoir (near the propeller where you put the gear oil) to check the condition and level of the oil, I noticed that I have a leak resulting in water mixing in. The oil was milky looking and clearly had water mixing in. I was told that I have to replace the seals. So my question to all of you knowledgable guys and gals is How Do I Go About Replacing The Seals?

I'm new to all of this but low on cash so I'm doing all the work myself. I'm good with mechanics so with a little guidence I should be all set to replace the seals.

Thanks for all of your time and any help you can provide me.

feedingfrenzy

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1969 johnson 4hp..... WATER in my OIL? Need Help Quick

Welcome aboard! If you are mechanically inclined, should not be a big problem. First and foremost, get the OEM service manual for it. You will find all of the procedures to reseal the lower unit. Also, don't guess, if it hasn't been started in a few years even though the rubber "looks good" the water pump impeller is shot, replace it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

One thing to try before resealing the lower unit, drain and flush the lower unit and refill with oil. Make sure to replace the seal washers on drain and vent screws, a lot of times the oil gets changed and the seal washers reused. This causes a lot of water in lower unit problems.
Run it and then recheck the condition of the oil.

Thanks guys for the responses and for the suggestions. I'm going to replace the drain and vent screw seals with new rubber and see if that (hopefully) is the problem. The seals on these screws DO look really good, but I will try anything that may fix this water leakage problem.

If this doesn't work and I have to go about replacing the lower unit seals, DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE?

I had a bit of trouble getting the 2 screws that hold on the propeller off. they seem real stuck and a simple flat head which is required is begining to strip the grip. I dont want to render the screws useless and not be able to get the propeller off, but at some point I'm going to have to address this problem. Maybe have to drill it out or worse buy a new housing? I don't know.

Thanks for the help and will be checking hourly for updates...

Thanks again

feedingfrenzy

hidef

Lieutenant

Thanks hidef, daviet, rockyrude,

Thats what I was trying to figure out man, what exactly I am suppost to replace if water is getting into the oil res. So the only 3 places where water could enter into the oil are from the o ring area you mentioned as well as the 2 drain holes?

If the answer is yes then that helps me out tremendously. That being the case, then it is definitely the o ring that I need to replace. No water or oil is escaping from the 2 drain plugs, hence leaving the o ring as my last option. :D:D:D

I wish it was that simple though. As you read above the 2 screws that you must remove to access where the o ring is are stuck. They require a flat head screw driver and are so soo stuck that the screw is begining to strip, leaving me "screwed", lol. I sprayed lubricating oil, wd-40 etc.

What Are My Last Options To Undo These Screws?

Heat it up with a torch?

Drill it out?

Replace the whole housing if I break the screws?

Im stuck not being able to access this o ring that will fix my problem. Any help from anyone would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks a bunch everybody

feedingfrenzy

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wd-40 doesn't work well as a penetrating oil. Most use something like PB Blaster or my favorite a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Also you may need some heat. You should also get yourself an impact screwdriver, it'll help a lot with stubborn screws.

AlTn

Commander

look at items #10, #21 on the standard...and items #11, #20 on the weedless.....the driveshaft and propshaft both have oil seals as water can enter from either shaft into the gearcase

Hey rockyrude,

I agree that wd40 doesn't work well as a penertrating oil. I was just stating that I have tried everything to break these screws lose. My go to choice is Liquid Wrench penertrating Oil, usually works real well. I should have mentioned that I am involved in the car business so almost all tools are available to me as well as the tricks of the trade in getting things done, lol. I do realize however that marine engines are a somewhat different trade and involves a know how that I have not yet aquired. I do have experience with automotive engines but completely new to marine motors.

So the answer is YES, I do have an impact gun but not a impact screwdriver. I did try and break the screw lose with the impact gun but since these are made for heavy duty bolts the torque is a bit too much. It slipped and began to strip the screw. So I stopped and decided to ask since that is what I was told to do by a member here. He advised me that "when in doubt, stop and ask".

Heating up the bolt did cross my mind but I wanted to check with all of you guys here to make sure the lower half where these 2 screws are can handle heat from a torch?

If you or anyone else has any ideas to help set these screws free, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your time

feedingfrenzy

AlTn

Commander

heat's a good idea...do you have a hand held impact driver that you hit with a hammer?...that may or may not help in this situation, but it does a good job with stuck drain and vent screws

Hey AITn,

I forgot to mention,

I have the WEEDLESS version.

So those 2 "caps" act as a seal for the oil as well?

They did look a little beat up so those will be purchased tonight. Thanks

Any other suggestions would be great.

feedingfrenzy

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

little shots of heat, don't go too crazy, it should not take much, spray PB first then try the heat, easy does it, aluminum gets too hot too damn fast :facepalm:

James R

Commander

I remove these plugs on many motors and I never never use a screw driver to remove them. You have learned what the screw driver does.
Get a good quality hand held impact driver and a 24oz hammer. Make sure that you are in the slot solid, wind up the screw driver until it locks then whack it. Use a leather glove on the hand that holds the driver. I guaranty that you will miss at least once.

heat's a good idea...do you have a hand held impact driver that you hit with a hammer?...that may or may not help in this situation, but it does a good job with stuck drain and vent screws

Thanks for your time AITn,

So I dont have the driver that you hit with a hammer but I do believe I have a impact screw driver, I think. My main concern is stripping the screw to where I have to drill it out or worse replace the housing.

So heat won't effect the surronding parts or burn any rubber that I may not see?

Thanks man

feedingfrenzy

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

it will burn the gasket between the 2 sections, but when you pull that apart, you will need to change it anyway ............

I remove these plugs on many motors and I never never use a screw driver to remove them. You have learned what the screw driver does.
Get a good quality hand held impact driver and a 24oz hammer. Make sure that you are in the slot solid, wind up the screw driver until it locks then whack it. Use a leather glove on the hand that holds the driver. I guaranty that you will miss at least once.

Thanks James,

I guess my best option is to go and purchase a hand held impact driver. I'm sure it will come in handy around the shop anyways. I will try this and hope it cracks lose. Thanks for the heads up.

feedingfrenzy

it will burn the gasket between the 2 sections, but when you pull that apart, you will need to change it anyway ............

Right on Davem,

Didnt even think about that.:cool: Obviously there would be a gasket between the two. Will be getting them as well.

I'm thinking that with a few short burst of high heat and the impact driver, I should be able to free these screws. I'll be attempting this tomorrow and will report back with the results, good or bad, lol.:confused:

Really apprecieate all the help from everyone involved;)

feedingfrenzy

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do NOT use acetylene!! It'll melt the case faster than you will believe. Mapp gas is the strongest stuff you want to use.

Do NOT use acetylene!! It'll melt the case faster than you will believe. Mapp gas is the strongest stuff you want to use.

Rocky dude, you just saved me a whole world of hurting man. Acetylene is what I would of used tomorrow. It's tips like this that I value so much.

feedingfrenzy

James R

Commander

I have never had to use heat. The impact works.