carb bushing Johnson 18 1958

SPK

Seaman
Hello again,
I was wondering if someone could advise me with respect to the proper placement of the low speed needle carb bushing on a 1958 Johnson 18. It appears that this cylindrical piece is round and flat-ended on the one end and a bit more tapered on the other end. I am trying to figure out which end is inserted into the carb body first. I have been having a little trouble getting the slow speed needle to stop floating a little when the engine is running. The carb has been cleaned and new packing washers are being used.She is running pretty good but that low speed needle moves a bit. I can't quite get the motor down to a troll speed but am getting closer. I can't tell from the parts diagram which end is to be inserted into the carb first, I thought that if the bushing was in backwards that might negatively impact the potential slow idle needed for trolling. When I try to slow her down that tiny bit more, she starts to sputter and quits. It starts right back up again when I increase the throttle slightly to restart. The needle is in excellent shape. Maybe the 18's weren't intended to go slow enough to troll?
As always I really appreciate your input.
Thanks so much.
Sean.
Lindsay, Ontario. Canada.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: carb bushing Johnson 18 1958

The tapered end should go in first, and the low speed needle valve can be tightened (slightly) by tightening the low speed valve nut after you have it set. That motor will definatley go slow enough to troll.

SPK

Seaman
Re: carb bushing Johnson 18 1958

Thanks oldcatamount very much for the information. I will make sure the bushing is installed correctly and then try to get the needle snugged up a little tighter. Hopefully I can slow her down just a tad more for a good troll.
Sean.