Adding in electric choke and fuel pump

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I'm just about finished with my rebuild. I have a 1979 260 5.7L 350ci serial #5424302. I changed out the block to a four bolt main and one piece rear main seal, it's bored .060 over and has deep dish pistons. It's the one piece rear main so I had to change out the flywheel, engine coupler, and starter. I had a two barrel MercCarb in really good shape so I slapped an adapter plate and installed it vs putting on this rusty ol' quadrajet and I also added a Merc marine fuel pump.

I seem to recall reading or hearing NOT to take 12v from the coil but instead get fused 12v from the dash for the electric choke...unsure if that is bad info or not. Looks to me as per the service manual it is coming from the coil. Can I just add a purple w/yellow wire to + coil and run to choke and fuel pump? If so does it need to be a copper core resisted wire? Not sure if this changes anything, but the harness I have has a purple/yellow lead at the slave solenoid...I believe it's termed as the "switch" style of solenoid? IDK this whole harness is a little bit different from what I am used to seeing.