Bummer!

Aggitated

Seaman
Well, after weeks of outboard problem solving I discovered my 85 force's problem. Blowed adapter gasket, and water tube leaking at the rubber seal. Now to fix and put back together, one question however; what type of sealant should I use on adapter/motor leg when i put it back together?

Aggitated

Seaman
Re: Bummer!

Thanks, the manual calls for loctite 5900 which is bad expensive. Next question, I've done this before two years ago, and it looked like all the RTV had pushed out, how do I put back together without RTV pushing out? Should I set powerhead down on wet RTV and wait untill sealant dries up before I torque powerhead nuts down?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopefully what pushed out was just excess. It must have sealed the last time. That idea might work.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Put it on and tighten.
They squish out from the factory!!
It there to fill in the small spots.
They get extra $$ if they sell the good stuff!!
The black or blue RTV is all that's needed.
Once it's tightened down just scrape it off and paint over it!!
I like red motors.J

Aggitated

Seaman

Thanks will do. It's raining like cats and dogs today so I'll put back together later this week. All that trouble, all my local boat mechanics guessing as to the problem......just saying. For those with misfire problems invest twelve bucks in spark lights. I'd still be looking at electronics had I not put spark lights on each cyl. while in the water Friday, and saw that each one was firing when the misfire was occuring.