engine swap- newer engine

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1968 mercruiser 120hp I/O. It has a busted block, and I would like to swap this engine out with something a little newer. Is there another engine that will fit with as little mods as possible. I dont want to go any heavier for my boat is only a 16footer

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: engine swap- newer engine

That 2.5 was made for a long time. Nor sure of the ending year, if any, but someone will chime in on it. Ask Bondo, he's up on these. I too have a 16' with a 120, OMC though. Mines a 1981, and my manual goes in to the 1990's for that motor. As far as modification, someone here will help you out.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........<br /><br />Any of the Merc 2.5l or 3.0l motors will bolt right in...........<br /><br />There might be some wiring or plumbing issues,.. But you Could bolt in a New 2005 crate motor.......

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whta auto did the 3.0 come out of

Bondo

Staff member

None of the Automotive 4 cylinder motors will fit...........

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know better than that, This engine I have here with a few changes is a 153ci chevy out of a 60's chevyII

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by John Loar:<br /> I know better than that, This engine I have here with a few changes is a 153ci chevy out of a 60's chevyII
Well,............<br />I can't argue your point,.......<br /><br />But,.... You'll be hard pressed to find a Serviceable engine out of a 1962 automobile.......<br /><br />So,....... For all Practical Purposes,.... There are No Automotive Engines that'll Swap Out.......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cool all ya gotta do is find an early 60's chevyII with a good engine and your set:).<br /> they were used in mail Jeeps till the mid-late 70's as well. got many a block and head from loop 820 jeep in ft worth.<br /> you will also find them in various industrial tractors and stationary equipment. however for the hassle its not worth it. find a running engine or a long block and go with a new manifold and riser. are about 5 intake/exhaust port configurations, some cannot be interchanged

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got my connections on the engines. What type cars had the 3.0l block in it? ( putting aside the marine differences)<br /><br />Really all I need is a rebuildable 2.5 block to fix what I got

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

none had the 3.0 or at least none in the US. also be aware that there are at least 3 different flywheels for the 2.5/3.0. ya cant mix and match them they must match the crank. shoreflyte marine in camden NC has a couple floating about I think.