Almost Jumping into gear from neutral

I was running my 1988 Rinker with Alpha MR today on the muffs while I was tuning it up, I started it in neutral and had it throttled up to about 1300 RPM, I went back to the stern and it sounded like it was partialy jumping into gear, it wasnt jumping into gear the hole way but just enough to slowly turn the prop. It dodesnt do this at low idle and the prop doesnt turn, only at high idle. I just adjusted the shift cables and it shifts well. Any idea what is causing this? it it normal?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Jumping into gear from neutral

I have the same thing happening on my lawnmower... I just have it idling and it jumps into gear all by itself!

'Rinker' is a boat, not an engine... What engine are you working on???? (please add year, model and serial numbers if you have them)

Turning the prop slowly is NOT in gear, it's just drag in the oil....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would help to know what outdrive you have, since that is what's jumping into gear.

Kinda' sounds like an Alpha drive with a cable out of adjustment, binding, worn out, and allowing the dog clutches to touch and rattle. Not good.

achris

Would help to know what outdrive you have, ....

That's what I was implying with my previous post.... Guess I should actually say rather than imply, yes... :facepalm:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, happens quite often, if you ask for engine info, that's all you get. Been there, done that.

Its a 1988 Mercruiser Alpha MR as per the forum. The main shift cable has been changed, I can easily shift the lower unit by hand with the cables removed from the neutral interrupt linkage, and it shifts nicely in and out of gear, neutral interrupt switch works great. I adjusted the cables to spec, When I rev it up in neutral it make a verry lite "ting ting ting" noise and just barley turns the prop in a clock-wise rotation.

Does anyone have a good cable adjustment wright-up so I can verify my cables are adjusted correctly?

achris

Nice post, When I adjusted the remote shift cable I didnt turn it out 4 turns, Im to close to forward gear. Thanks alot guys.

Another happy customer... :D :D

Please forward all money to .... me :D

74invader

Cadet
Re: Almost Jumping into gear from neutral

Im having the same issue however the youtube link seems to no longer be good. Could you post another link to this video fix?

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Almost Jumping into gear from neutral

This link work?

BTW thanks for the vid achris...made adjusting my cable a snap....

Last edited: