Evinrude starflite V 75383E

jshdrake

Cadet
I am new to the site and new to boating. I've been wanting a boat since I was 12 years old and I just picked up a 1963 16' run about (unknown make) with an Evinrude starflite V 75383E. It runs well, but either the thermostat is bad or the impeller is bad or both. I am currently trying to find a service manual and the right parts to fix this issue. I would also like to give it a good tune-up and will be restoring it somewhat. Any words of wisdom or help would be much appreciated. I'll try to post photos soon.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude starflite V 75383E

You do need the service manual. That is a fairly complex motor with electric shift and the 20 amp alternator. Get a parts book too, because your local dealer probably doesn't have one either. They won't give you the time of day unless you go in armed with the part numbers you want to order. A few parts are available here at iboats.

jshdrake

Cadet

Does anyone know where I could find the service manual? I have found the parts catalog.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try Ken Cook in Milwaukee Wi.

jshdrake

Cadet

IMG_1259.jpgIMG_1260.JPGIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpgIMG_1263.JPG
Thanks ordered the manual. Couple of questions. If the engine was not warm would you expect water to come out of tell tale? Also what size battery is needed for this motor? The guys had a lawn mower battery to get it started for me, but I don't think that is what I should use on the water.

jshdrake

Cadet

I do have a couple of frayed wires, no actual wire showing. I was thinking of use heat shrink to correct.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor does not have a telltale. It does have a spitter at the top of the midsection. It will spit water when the termostat open. The thermostat is in the plastic box, just below the ign coil. Use a standard marine starting battery, size 24. Mix fuel at 24::1. That motor has a battery/coil ignition like a car from the 60s and 70s. Since the ign uses power, it is a good idea if the charging system works.

jshdrake

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I hooked up the flusher mount and it does not appear that any water is getting into the engine, it just sprays out the sides of the flusher. I pulled the thermostat housing off and the springs look good, the thermostat is simple and I think it's fine. I was trying to remove the prop to get to the filter, but the drive pin is in there really well. Any ideas?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A standard flusher will not work with that motor. The water pickup is behind and above the prop. It looks like a fat fin, and has a small grating over it. Use a barrel of water, with the height of the water over the grating above the antiventilation plate.

I am not sure what filter you were trying to get to by removing the prop. It is a good idea to remove the prop, however. On my '59 V4 it was a 5/16" stainless drive pin. A little penetrating oil and a rap from a punch ought to loosen it.

jshdrake

Cadet

Okay, put motor in bucket fired up let warm up and water came out of spitter. Shifted forward good to go, shifted back into to neutral still fine, shifted into reverse and engine died. I heard it kick into reverse then the engine died. Tried again same thing. Any thoughts?