Trim pump problem

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey guy's.
I have a '96 SeaRay 190 Signature with a 4.3 Mercruiser engine and an Alpha 0ne Gen II Outdrive. My problem is, when I pulled the boat out yesterday to do my yearly "get it ready to splash" routine I discovered that the trim pump would click when the switch was pressed but would neither trim in or out. I used the troubleshooting guide I found in the forums and determined that there was a problem with the motor. I began to remove the pump unit. but before I did I gave it one last try. To my delight it actually started working again. now the new problem. it works intermittently. I have to press the switch several times before the actual pump begins to work. The solenoids are working fine and I can tell they are both working correctly. So I suppose my question is does this sound like a dirty connection and if so, why is it doing this in both directions. The solenoids click loudly with each press of the switch so I know they're getting power. Do I need to clean the connections on the solenoids themselves or is there a different connection I should be looking for. thanks in advance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Trim pump problem

Sounds like the brushes in the motor are dirty/worn...

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guy's.
I have a '96 SeaRay 190 Signature with a 4.3 Mercruiser engine and an Alpha 0ne Gen II Outdrive. My problem is, when I pulled the boat out yesterday to do my yearly "get it ready to splash" routine I discovered that the trim pump would click when the switch was pressed but would neither trim in or out. I used the troubleshooting guide I found in the forums and determined that there was a problem with the motor. I began to remove the pump unit. but before I did I gave it one last try. To my delight it actually started working again. now the new problem. it works intermittently. I have to press the switch several times before the actual pump begins to work. The solenoids are working fine and I can tell they are both working correctly. So I suppose my question is does this sound like a dirty connection and if so, why is it doing this in both directions. The solenoids click loudly with each press of the switch so I know they're getting power. Do I need to clean the connections on the solenoids themselves or is there a different connection I should be looking for. thanks in advance.

A clicking solenoid does not mean it's working. It could mean it's half working. Did you verify with a test light to ensure power to the pump motor from both solenoids? Solenoid failure is the most common failure on these. Mine clicked too and they were both bad.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Jump a small piece of wire between the 2 large connections on each of the solenoids. If the pump runs up and down when you do this then it is bad contacts inside of the solenoids.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did all the checks on the troubleshooting guide I found in these forums. I will say that now I just think the pump was "stuck" in place from sitting all winter. I was going to pull the unit out so I put a floor jack under the out-drive to relieve any pressure on the lines to take them loose. I don't know if taking the out-drive pressure off did anything, but it started working after that and although intermittent at first, after a few tries It seemes to be working better so I topped of the fluid and dropped her in the lake where she still sits, tied to the dock because I experienced no more problems. Thanks to the guy's that replied, I guess I just jumped the gun, I should have worked on it with my hammer first! LOL