AQ170 Impeller problem

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, i've got a problem with my impeller pulling water in. I have the AQ170C/B, impeller 831182.
I know that it's the impeller/intake related because i tried to bypass the outdrive by connecting a tube to the intake hose and putting it in a bucket of water. The impeller does not create enough pressure.
I thought it might be something blocked inside or when i installed a new headgasket last year that one of the cooling channels was blocked...But i can poor water into the intake(when running) and it goes all the way through coming out through exhaust keeping the engine cool. Impeller does create a small amount of pressure but not enough. Any suggestions?? impeller looks good.

Here's a pic of the impeller.
impeller.jpg
[/URL]

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AQ170 Impeller problem

The impeller appears to be torn at the base of one of the vanes so I'm not sure it's really in that good of shape.

If it were me, I'd start by replacing the impeller and then check again for suction leaks. On the suction side, common areas are the seawater strainer cap (if installed) and the water neck fitting on the outdrive. I'd also start poking around to see if there are any obstructions in the pressurized side. Rust of impeller pieces can be the source.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

See if you can turn the impeller shaft by hand. It connect to the shaft with a rubber coupler. Volvo calls it a companion flange 831009
When they die, the impeller doesn't turn.

GLM12850

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The shaft does not turn by itself. I took it apart, the flange is not great but doing it's job. take a look at the pic. When the motor is running the impeller turns, it does circulate water(slowly) when i pour it in.

img20120514173340.th.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have any air leaks, you will not suck up water like you should. The gasket on the cover of the pump. The seals on the two tubes, must not leak or you won't get the proper output from the pump.

travip

Recruit

Have you checked over the oil cooler also ? when mine shagged out I found pieces in the oil cooler , that could possibly be causing some problems