1968 Starcraft jupitor V (complete restore)

jabixl

Cadet
Hi all, I am a new user to iboat, I have taken on a restore project .not sure if I im up to the task! but I have 2 boys at home to help , Started with just wanting to paint and clean but found the seats were rotten and floor to .completly gutted now , the trailer is re painted and lighted, and I figured if I was going to redo the floor nad upholstry , after 44 years I may as well do the transom ,so I am there ...
here is where I need the help , I have everything un-bolted nothing is attached ,I have the 2 triangular side pieces out and I cant seem to get the main part of that transom to move or budge ,, any Ideas ???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1968 Starcraft jupitor V (complete restore)

First off - Welcome, jabixl. Transoms are hard to pull sometimes. Just double check that all the screws under the splashwell are out, I think there are 537 screws. And there should be old sealant between the splashwell and the transom wood.

Some guys have used a couple of screw in I bolts in the top of the wood, some chain and jack or engine hoist to pull up. Some have lag bolted a piece of 2X4 under the splashwell and beat up on it to get it started. The good news is they always give up.

Put up some pics for the official entry to the Starmada and have some fun working on her and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome! My first restore was a '66 Jupiter. Great boat. Check out the link in my signature.

I tried all manner of silly things to get the transom to "pop" out on my SS (the one in my Jupiter was mulch) but what finally got it, was prying up on it with a 2x4 from the inside towards one of the side where the aluminum tray didn't extend all the way to the edge. This method has worked for others as well.

InMotion

Commander

Hey Welcome man!!! Congrats on the purchase... it'll be a fun project for the whole family!

I screwed in a coupld of scrap pieces of 2x6 and used a sledge... worked like a charm!!

Pics would be great!!!

jabixl

Cadet

Thank you GA_boater and ezmobee for your reply, I wasn't sure if I posted this in the right category. After much deliberation i asked my neighbor to come down with his bobcat, and with luck today I will pull the rest of the transom out today and get started with a new one. Do you have any idea how to rebuild the transom? As soon as I figure out how to send pictures I will send you a picture of it.

JoeIMG_2920.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

2 pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together. Add those little wing pieces in as part of one new solid piece like this http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2586.jpg

You can glue the pieces with together with Titebond III wood glue, gorilla glue, PL Premium construction adhesive, or if you're going to use epoxy resin for sealing, you can use that also for the lamination. Seal it up with epoxy resin, spar varnish or paint. Most of us are using epoxy or spar.

jabixl

Cadet

WoW thanks for all the help !!! With the 2x6 s I managed to pry the transom out ,
Great tip on that used no effort al all .When I do build the new transom I was going to use the 3/4 inch hardwood plywood , it just 3/4 ply good enough as long as it is laminated and sealed ? and is it strong enough?
Joe

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad the 2x worked for ya!

2 layers of 3/4" so 1.5" in total. Make sure you get exterior grade plywood. The Arauco ply from Lowes is very nice. Apparently it's been spotted at Home Depot as well but isn't marked Arauco, just "Made in Chile" which is where Arauco comes from. The regular exterior ply I got from Home Depot for my deck was total crap.

barato2

Commander

i used to use a ramp made from doubled 3/4" ply to roll 500 lb motorcycles into the back of my truck. yeah, i think it'll stand up to stresses on a transom.
there's also the fact that the factory did it that way, and the transom looks to still be attached to the boat after 40ish years even if it's a bit rotted.

but if you have any concerns about the 2 halves holding solidly, you could also install some #10x1 1/4" stainless flathead screws....countersink the heads enough that you can slather epoxy over the head and thus keep it out of contact with the aluminum so no galvanic corrosion issues. this is gross overkill though.

you do realize that Jas will be lighting his torch soon if you don't get some pix up?

jabixl

Cadet

Ah fianlly I am going to be posting 2 links ,They are not going to be in order but you all can see the progress , so ,fiberglass resin ? or epoxy resin ? remember I am new here to this process so dont think I am a total Idiot !!! I have restores several Airplanes , this is a bit diffrent . here you go
https://picasaweb.google.com/108497054844410909030/1968JupiterVRestore?authuser=0&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/108497...tarcraftJupiterVII?authuser=0&feat=directlink

barato2

Commander

wow---is the red one the same boat? pretty amazing.

if you've restored airplanes, tin boats will be a piece of cake. only issue you prolly haven't seen is making the hull watertight.

consensus here seems to be epoxy resin for coating floors and transoms......if you use polyester resin, will likely need to add glass cloth.

jabixl

Cadet

Thanks Everyone for the help , I am greatful for the knoledge that is out there ,, first off the redboat in the pics was last years project , 12 valco , I just sold it to pay this years star craft , I think I will use the MAS epoxy seems to be the correct way to do it , I promise to keep pics updated as progerss continues , I will hace lots of questions so stay tight , Airplanes are very detailed .!!!
Joe

marika19

Cadet

2 pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together. Add those little wing pieces in as part of one new solid piece like this http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2586.jpg

You can glue the pieces with together with Titebond III wood glue, gorilla glue, PL Premium construction adhesive, or if you're going to use epoxy resin for sealing, you can use that also for the lamination. Seal it up with epoxy resin, spar varnish or paint. Most of us are using epoxy or spar.

ezmobee -

what wood did you use? what glue? your transom looks so nice!

I made a attempt last night on gluing together 2 pieces of 3/4" BCX using PL400 troweled out, weighted and clamped the new transom boards, but I ended up with gaps and a slightly potato chip like wave. It's not looking good. Any advice? I am debating about redoing it. Any advice?

(by the way, i just tried to post something and add a picture, but it got lost, at least I think it got lost, sorry if i end up with two posts here, still learning how to use a forum)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used Arauco ply from Lowes for my transom. It was WAY nicer than the regular exterior grade from Home Depot I used for my deck which had a ton of voids. Rumor has it Home Depot has Arauco as well but doesn't have it labeled as such but it does say "Made in Chile" which is where Arauco comes from. If you're going to seal it with epoxy, I'd use the epoxy for laminating as well. No worries with gaps then I don't think and it's strong as heck.

marika19

Cadet

I used Arauco ply from Lowes for my transom. It was WAY nicer than the regular exterior grade from Home Depot I used for my deck which had a ton of voids. Rumor has it Home Depot has Arauco as well but doesn't have it labeled as such but it does say "Made in Chile" which is where Arauco comes from. If you're going to seal it with epoxy, I'd use the epoxy for laminating as well. No worries with gaps then I don't think and it's strong as heck.

Thanks for the info, heading to Lowes tonight for the Arauco for the 2nd attempt at the transom! Now what to do with the failed transom sandwich in the garage?? :p

jabixl

Cadet

got the wood it looks NIce!!! and now ready for the epoxy ... What to Use???? any Ideas ? is there something locally that I can get in a quart size , thats good ?. also the new transom is an 1/8 " smaller in thickness any matters .

joe

barato2

Commander

not being as familiar with Rigby, ID as i should, i may not be much help on what you can find locally....but most of us order the stuff. i get mine from Aeromarine and have been v. happy with the product, prices, and deliv.

if you're doing floors too, you'll need a lot more than a quart.

InMotion

Commander

also the new transom is an 1/8 " smaller in thickness any matters .

joe

Hey Joe,

When you re-install your splashwell it may have a 1/8" gap between the bottom edge of the splashwell and the transom. Some options to fill: window glazing;cork;4200;5200 or combo's there of. I used cork and 4200 as I too had a bigger gap then before.

Anyway your choose just make sure to use at least 4200 to seal it up good so no water gets into the boat and/or into the metal lip where your transom rests --- no need to have water sitting where your transom board is. I also drilled a couple of small holes in the that metal lip --- just so if some water does make it's way there, there are options for it to drain away.

Glad to see you are making progress man!!

Oh ya, the failed transom --- how about a shelf in your garage --- should hold a lot of weight!!

jabixl

Cadet

GREAT !!!! I got the perfect solution I will seat that gap up with Volkem 116 tha will be the perfect sealer !!! I was afraid that the 1/8 inch narrower would make it less strong >>>>
THE GARAGE IT IS

Joe