Prop or tabs first

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My question is should I install smart tabs before or after dialing in the prop? If the prop puts me where I want to be maybe I wont need the tabs, but do the tabs change the performance of the prop if I decide I want them anyway.

I have a 2008 tahoe q7 21 bowrider with the 5.0 MPI 260hp merc and 14.5x19 solas rubex aluminum prop. The outdrive is an alpha one gen II 1.47:1. With our average load three full size adults it will turn 4600 at 46 mph. I also put on a Solas 14x21 ss prop that i had on my old boat. It turned 4000 rpm at 48 mph. Both are three blade. At speed I could hardly trim up without porpoising. I feel like this was limiting my top end. My old boat ( 2001 tahoe q7 5.0 220hp 1.62:1 drive) had 80lb smart tabs and I loved the way they made the boat ride and handle.

I want a reasonable hole shot for tubing without losing too much top end. Oh and I want to end up with a stainless prop because they are pretty :)

So I guess my goals are to get the stern out of the water (I think) so it can be trimmed out better, Lower RPM planing, and a pretty stainless prop. At this point I think I am going to need a 14x19 ss but unsure if it needs to be more of a stern lifting type or even a 4 blade 14x18 ss maybe.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop or tabs first

Ayuh,.... I've Never seen a set of tabs Hurt a boats handlin',.... I'd start There, myself...

Mr. Demeanor

iboats.com Partner

I would say prop. You may not even need tabs when you dial in the right prop. There are some places like PropGods that have prop test programs. I have actually used them to resolve a slight porpoise problem on my Fountain center console at slower cruise speeds. The right prop fixed it. There is a lot to be had by maximizing your current setup IMO.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since tabs are pretty affordable - I would start there if it crosses your mind. ($100-170)

I personally would hate to get a new perfect tuned prop - then later want to add tabs...resulting in a different ride/load/performance and then need to get a different prop. Which can be big money if going SS.

Maybe the tabs wouldn't effect prop selection that much... but from what i can tell it could or i think would.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Big guns on here preach "get your setup maxed out then start on your prop". Tabs are part of the setup. Sounds good to me. Well it makes sense. The prop choice is dependent upon the load that the available hp is trying to move. Obviously as you reduce your drag by improving your setup, you allow for a higher pitched prop giving you better performance and higher speed (usually).

Mark

Mr. Demeanor

iboats.com Partner

Its a double edged sword. The prop is one of the most important parts of the setup. Any one part can effect the rest. Thats why I like a prop test program.
For instance, on an outboard where engine height is critical, the height effects the rpm but the prop style effects how high you can potentially go.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Zactly. Get yer motor height'n prop worked out first. Then start monkeyin around with tabs. Imo ...