Bimini Top Zipper Is Bonded to the top

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
one of my bimini top zippers broke and I was going to un-sew it and try to sew another one in by hand. But I noticed the original zipper appears to be bonded instead of sewn in. How can I replace that myself without ruining the top. (it is a vinyl top with cloth lining)

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini Top Zipper Is Bonded to the top

Cut the teeth from the zipper, May want to use a hot knife or soldering tip to prevent fraying. then sew zipper on top. Irecomend sending it to a shop with a sewing machine. It would be woth having done with the proper equipment to aviod leaks. Should only cost about $20-$30 to repair a zipper.

fishrdan

Admiral

one of my bimini top zippers broke

What broke on the zipper?

I had the zipper slider on my favorite jacket break off and was going to replace the entire zipper,,, because I like the jacket so much. But, I got the bright idea of just replacing the slider! I cut off the top zipper stop, slid on the new slider and stitched on a new zipper stop with some heavy canvas thread. It took me all of 10 minutes to fix the zipper, once I found the correct zipper to match up to the broken one.

If it's something else, I can't help with that, but at least you'll know how to replace the slider :D

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I am with kmarine, the first thing I though of was to cut the teeth off too, then you have a good heavy backing to sew to and you don't need to destroy the top to fix it.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The bonding is more than likely a thin, clear double sided tape (Seamstick). We use it to keep the zippers in place prior to sewing them on. It also helps the zipper not to stretch during the sewing process. You'll also find that tape between the seams of the top (if done correctly) to keep water from coming in through the stitching holes.

You can peel the zipper off, but it might be a sticky mess. A heat gun will help somewhat. Take it to an upholstery/canvas shop for repair. They have the industrial walking foot machine that is needed as well as UV treated thread.

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/tip2

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies, I will check into them