Polyester resin no VOC's???

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there a polyester resin with no VOC's and where would you buy it? I seen one on you tube that will dry instantly with a hand held UV light but that is the first i have seen.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Polyester resin no VOC's???

pm ondarvr......he has the latest scoop on all the new tecs

but ....keep in mind.....it just may be a youtube joke. poly resin needs heat to cure....the longer you can keep the heat on...the stiffer the product.

uv by a hand held wont generate that kind of heat

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Few yeas ago some company tried to market a resin with no VOC's. I don't think it worked out because I haven't heard anything. It was VERY expensive compared to regular resin. Resins can be made to cure with UV light. I packaged repair patches (purched already in a light proof pouch)for the Navy to include with small boats for Foriegn Military sales to Columbia. We tried one out by putting in the sun for a few hours. When it cured we checked with a Barcol meter and it was as hard as the vinylester resin used to fabricate the rest of the boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Is there a polyester resin with no VOC's and where would you buy it? I seen one on you tube that will dry instantly with a hand held UV light but that is the first i have seen.

The technology is there to do it, but the final product can be difficult to use and is pricy.

Some companies market styrene free resins as if they are better than ones with styrene, they just substitute a different monomer (Solvent, thinner) for the styrene that isn't listed as a harmful VOC, they aren't really any safer, it's just a loophole in the regs.

UV cure resins can be purchased, the problem is the cost of a UV cure light booth is so high companies don't want to invest in it. The UV cure initiator is rather pricy too.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you. The epoxy i use has no voc's and i was just wondering if i could get poly with none.