Trailer Brakes started on FIRE on way to launch! Yes like a flame was blown out

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:facepalm:
So today, after working on my boat to prepare it for it's new slip for the summer, me and a pal set off to the launch to give the boat her first splash.

I don't live too far from the launch maybe 15 - 20 miles, all straight down hill for the ride. So we head off, drive down into the downtown area where the road levels out finally and I notice the right trailer tire smoking. Try my best to pull over in the city and of course as I do a cop pulls me over as well. He comes over and I explain to him my tire is smoking he says stay in the car. He goes runs my license and realizes I am not a criminal and I say can we please look at this tire I smell it burning. At this point I climb under the trailer and there were OPEN FLAMES melting the brakes. I blew out and it started again, I grabbed a fire extinguisher I had in my truck and blasted it out. Police officer sat there in shock and watched ...

I then got a ticket for not having this years registration sticker on my boats license plate, I had it in the truck and forgot to stick it on :facepalm:. So after getting the ticket it was closer to get to the launch then go try to trailer up hill home and I figured it would be safer to get there and get the boat off the trailer. Started driving down the road and about 2 miles later I hear the bearings start breaking off. Threw the emergency flashers on and road the shoulder at about 20 mph, So at this point I basically limp to the launch throw the boat in and get the trailer on hooked to realize the whole bearing assembly is gone and the wheel is barely still on the trailer.

After all this, it is hard for me at this moment to figure out exactly why the brakes engaged and why they engaged on only one tire? Also, what in the world is this going to cost me to get the bearing assembly and brakes fixed and whatever else got destroyed during this horrific event?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer Brakes started on FIRE on way to launch! Yes like a flame was blown out

I don't live too far from the launch maybe 15 - 20 miles, all straight down hill for the ride.

After all this, it is hard for me at this moment to figure out exactly why the brakes engaged and why they engaged on only one tire?

So the why, you answered that yourself at the very top. Any time the boat is pushing the vehicle, the brakes are going to engage. (assuming surge brakes) You don't even need to touch the vehicle brakes, engine braking is enough. 20 miles downhill, yeah, toasty brakes! For the second part, its very likely the other one was about to go also, this one for whatever reason just decided its ticket was up now.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer Brakes started on FIRE on way to launch! Yes like a flame was blown out

More than likely the bearings decided thier wasnt enough grease left and turned cherry red and set things on fire. Breakes will surly smoke but I have never known a set to catch on fire but bad bearings sure will. And that would explain why one tire.

tpenfield

Staff member

Well, it sounds like you had a great outing and you got to do a little bit of everything. I'm a bit surprised that the police officer gave you a ticket, if you had the registration in the vehicle. Usually, they just tell you to put the sticker on and that's it. Kind of funny though . . . smoke and flames coming out of the wheel and all the cop can see is the lack of a license plate sticker. :facepalm:

If the brakes catch on fire, then there is probably no grease left in the hubs and/or the bearings are going to suffer a heat related failure, but you know that now.

I don't think that just a downhill run would burn up the brakes . . if so then why didn't both wheels burn up??? More probably the one wheel had the brake dragging, etc.

I hope it all gets fixed and you get back on the water.

bgc

Ensign

So the why, you answered that yourself at the very top. Any time the boat is pushing the vehicle, the brakes are going to engage. (assuming surge brakes) You don't even need to touch the vehicle brakes, engine braking is enough. 20 miles downhill, yeah, toasty brakes! For the second part, its very likely the other one was about to go also, this one for whatever reason just decided its ticket was up now.

This is why I went to electric brakes.

For your replacement parts take a look at www.trailerpart.com/ I have been ordering from them, good service and prices.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the bearings came apart and the hub assembly nearly fell of the trailer there is a good chance that the inner bearing race has welded it's self to the spindle. If this happened the spindle is probably junk. The inner race can be removed a couple of different ways. If you are REALLY good with a torch you can cut it off with that. The other way (the way i do them at work) is the use a good sharp chisel and split the race then remove it. No matter which method you decide to use always remember to protect your eyes with safety glasses. Not just sunglasses.
Good luck

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Now lets put things in perspective. What actually burned was the leakiing grease from the hub -- not the brakes. I also seriously doubt the brakes were dragging hard enough to even start the fire. However, bad bearings can easily do that. As the bearing begins to come apart the hub no longer runs true on the spindle and it begins to cut grooves and seize things up. That creates immense heat which destroys the inner bearing seal the air now gets into the mix and "poof" you have a grease fire. That can torch the tire and you now have a real emergency.

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading all your posts, I guess the bearing are what caught on fire and just coincedence I was going downhill assuming it was the brakes the caught fire. The bearings did have grease, obviously not enough. I still cannot believe that with an open flame inside the wheel that the tire didn't blow, only good thing that did happen. I think the cop gave me a ticket because all of this came to fruition in the center of downtown and was a bit of a spectacle, so he probably figured I deserved something. After launching the boat, I ended up limping the trailer over to the marina I have a slip at and I think I am going to have them repair it. I do like to try to fix things myself but it sounds like this one might be a bit over my head.

I did however take the boat out this morning, and she runs great :)

64osby

Admiral

Sounds like a fun trip to the launch. Glad the boat ran well.

You might consider buying a whole new axle with hubs to match your wheels, It would save a lot of time and you might have weakened the axle. New brakes and the new built in greasing systems, no bearing buddies required.

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a fun trip to the launch. Glad the boat ran well.

You might consider buying a whole new axle with hubs to match your wheels, It would save a lot of time and you might have weakened the axle. New brakes and the new built in greasing systems, no bearing buddies required.

Sounds expensive? Not sure exactly what I am going to do. Just found out today that the marina it is at does not work on trailers, sooooo now I am trying to find a towing company that can fit it on to a roll back trailer to get it over to my auto-mechanic who says he can fix it if I get it there. Depending on actual width of my trailer ( I have to go measure tonight) it is going to be anywhere from $50 or a lot more if a wrecker is needed to lift it on a trailer :mad:. If it ever makes it to the shop I will let the mechanic decide the extent of the damages done and go from there... I have learned one important lessen, add / check grease prior to any trip with the boat :facepalm:

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Single axle trailer?

64osby

Admiral

I bought a 2200lb axle no breaks for $140. I saw someone on the west coast post they bought a 3500lb axle for $180 Breaks? Your mechanic will charge more that that in labor, I would think.

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it is a single axle trailer, have to look into the axle as an option... is that a tough change, changing axles that is?

64osby

Admiral

If it's just an axle w/o springs it is 4 U bolts, if you do new springs it is 4 spring bolts. Both are pretty easy I just did a utility trailer, I pulled it up on it's side and replaced the axle (w/ new springs) took about 2 hours.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

D'oh!:eek: Glad everyone's okay. First, do you have comprehensive insurance on your rig (more than just liability)? If so, the tow most likely won't cost you anything. Just call your provider and have them handle it. It's included in your policy and won't affect your premium. Any rollback should be able to handle that trailer. How do I know? Well, let's not go there.:facepalm: Second, it IS possible for brakes to get hot enough to cause this situation. Again, how do I know? Well, let's not go there.:facepalm::facepalm: I'm not suggesting this was brake related, but it is possible. In any case, that's irrelevant at this point. I vote for a new axle installed by you. You can do it, and you'll save a fortune. Just take it one step at a time and ask lots of questions on here. These guys have enough knowledge to staff fifteen repair shops.

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have comprehensive insurance on my Xterra, but I have a $500 deductible so that won't work... I'm gonna get it to the shop and see the deal on replacing the bearings and the status of the axle. My mechanic is pretty legit and if he says I need a new axle I will just get it home and go from there, if they can throw some new bearing buddies on there and the axle is in good shape I might just let them have at it...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I do have comprehensive insurance on my Xterra, but I have a $500 deductible so that won't work... I'm gonna get it to the shop and see the deal on replacing the bearings and the status of the axle. My mechanic is pretty legit and if he says I need a new axle I will just get it home and go from there, if they can throw some new bearing buddies on there and the axle is in good shape I might just let them have at it...

You didn't read my post very carefully. Your boat insurance is what would cover the tow, not your car insurance. Do you have full coverage boat insurance? If so, they will order and pay for the tow and your deductible won't even be a factor.

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You didn't read my post very carefully. Your boat insurance is what would cover the tow, not your car insurance. Do you have full coverage boat insurance? If so, they will order and pay for the tow and your deductible won't even be a factor.

My bad, thought by rig you meant the towing vehicle, I'll have to call my insurance agent and ask... worth a shot though

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My bad, thought by rig you meant the towing vehicle, I'll have to call my insurance agent and ask... worth a shot though

You don't know whether you have comprehensive coverage on your boat? Promise I'm not trying to be an a**, I'm just a little incredulous. Any way, good luck with it cave. Hope you get it all sorted out pretty quick. Again, I'm just really thankful noone was hurt.

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got the trailer back from the shop, took the lazy root and let them pay for it. To the tune of $621.54 ($225 Labor, $350.50 Parts). Replaced both Rear Brake Drums, Wheel Bearing, Shoes, Hardware, Inner Seals and Sleeves and Repaired Hubs. After all that they called and said we thought you were all good but the Spring inside the master cylinder is rusted and shot and that whole thing needs to be replaced... :facepalm: Brought it home and going to give this repair a shot myself first... starting a new thread..