Why are there so many viewers in the Johnson/Evinrude forum?

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it because there are so many more out there or they are more problematic? BTW I own a 50hp Johnson and would never even consider trading it for a like motor of a different brand.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Why are there so many viewers in the Johnson/evil rude forum?

just has come to be one of the best places for OMC guys to exchange info and ask questions. there are other sites that seem to have more people focused on other brands, but there are a few good guys in the merc side of this forum, really know their stuff.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe take a look at the age of the E-rudes? 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's & still going strong. With just basic stuff, they'll keep on going for many more years.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, i look at the forum far to much!

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure why, but I'm not gonna question it!

I've always gotten great advice...and really fast.
I feel like I owe some of the high ranking guys a boat ride!!! LOL

If it's any explanation Evinrude was the original outboard motor...there are so many of them out there because they were made first so you have to add those in...know what I mean?

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johnson Evinrude are some of the most popular outboard motors ever made. Many people have had a tie with OMC in the past, and they are still running strong today. Also, parts for these bad boys are still available today, unlike a lot of motors where parts are obsolete and can only be bought used.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's not because they break down more than others. It's just that there are so many of them in service. That is because they were good simple motors to begin with...and for a variety of reasons...parts are available and comparatively affordable compared to some of the other brands.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would bet from the 50s to the late 80s OMC had a 50%+ market share so over half of all outboards sold were Johnyrudes and that was ALOT of engines.

I have an '81 Evinrude 50 with the original power head and she is still getting compression in the upper 130s, actually idles and starts immediately ever single time, it is simple as a stone and super easy to work on and you can still get almost any part for and will be able to for years to come.

It just comes down to numbers, there are simply more OMC engines out there than any other brand and iboats is THE place to get info on them, we have some of the finest outboard guys in the world here that very graciously share thier time and knowledge with the rest of us dunder heads to help keep our boats running.