how to get it home?

Roadgypsy

Cadet
Howdy folks, new user here, joined the forum last week while looking at a 26' sea ray similar to http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=520100 got an e-mail today that it wasn't taken monday after all, and for $800 I figure it'd make for a nice project, could prolly part it out for more than that. My biggest issue atm is how to get it home, it's sitting on a double axle that looks too small for it, and unsure on brakes. Thought I'd rent like a 1-3 ton truck and take secondary roads slowly, but not having any luck on that front. My old 3/4 chevy only has a rusty step bumper mount, and doubt that'd be enough, anybody know about what a boat like that is gonna weigh? I'd guess around 6k from other posts I've seen? I see a few posts on CL for movers and stuff, but wanna make sure somebody has the right equipment, 1 ton+ needed?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: how to get it home?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I'd think a 3/4 ton, with a frame mounted hitch oughta do it,.....

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You are correct with having doubts about the bumper mounted ball.
Most of them were only good for 2500-5000 lbs max depending on the truck.

Roadgypsy

Cadet

I figured a 3/4 would get it up and going, mostly worried about the stopping not knowing what kind of/if the trailer has brakes. Mine is a big old step bumper with supports running to the frame and a big spring loaded plate, but everything is rusted away and I've yet to check my brakes on a $900 pickup lol. If Ya'll think a 3/4 will stop alright as long as i'm easy on it, it'd make renting alot easier. Wish there was a way to put a ball mount on my semi quick-like, then no worries lol.

Bondo

Staff member

I figured a 3/4 would get it up and going, mostly worried about the stopping not knowing what kind of/if the trailer has brakes. Mine is a big old step bumper with supports running to the frame and a big spring loaded plate, but everything is rusted away and I've yet to check my brakes on a $900 pickup lol. If Ya'll think a 3/4 will stop alright as long as i'm easy on it, it'd make renting alot easier. Wish there was a way to put a ball mount on my semi quick-like, then no worries lol.

Ayuh,... Donno where ya are,... I doubt I'd try droppin' off Cajon pass with it,...

The little knobs 'round here wouldn't be a problem for My truck though...

Roadgypsy

Cadet

SE nebraska, bout as flat as can get so I've got that goin for me at least. This is the problem with buying things off CL on a whim.......at least i read through that thread to know what I'm in for long run.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

"Wish there was a way to put a ball mount on my semi quick-like, then no worries lol."

Use the semi and bum a trailer? Load up the whole rig, sure sounds better than some old boat trailer that needs work.

huts

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You won't find a rental truck in that scale that allows towing. Far too many idiots that get behind the wheel with zero experience, towing a questionable rig, and end up wrapping it up. No question, hungupthespikes has the best idea yet!

Roadgypsy

Cadet

finally got to talk to the guy for a few minutes, sounds like the biggest issue with trailer is it's too short for boat, but he has friends/family with a 3/4 he's gonna ask and if he's to be believed it doesn't need as much work as expected. He said stringers and everything are good, it's mostly a few spots of glass/engines (missing 1 of 2 i/o other needs work) which was already mentioned in the ad. Either way I was expecting it to be a project of monumental proportions, not needing to do a full resto would just be a pleasant surprise.