Whaler fishability???

saumon

Lieutenant
Ok, i need the wisdom of all the gurus there (like JB) about the Boston Whaler "fishability"...(sorry for the title typo, couldn't correct it; please also excuse my English, as I'm French speaking ).

I live in the Montreal area and I sometimes boat the big inland lakes like the Champlain but mostly the St. Lawrence seaway around here. I fish mainly for muskies but also a few times a year for walleyes and landlocked salmon. Currently, i'd say I use my boat (1993 Tracker Pro DeepV 17 w/1993 60hp Merc) 75% of the time for fishing and 25% for familly (wife and 2 kids) cruising, tubing etc.

I've always heard of the Whaler reputation as solid, versatile, durable and well built boats and, considering the present buyer's market, i sometimes saw opportunities (read good deals) not so far away (New England). I've narrowed it down to the 1975-2000 Montauk 17 repowered with a newer 90hp engine (preferably an E-tec but could also be a 4-stroke) but wonder if they're well suited for some casting/trolling?

I fully know that any boat is ALWAYS a compromise and that it's not specifically a fishing boat (most often described as a fishing/cruising/work boats) but wonder if they can easily be fitted to do so?

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philster

Captain
Re: Whaler fishability???

Been on a lot of Whalers over decades, and they are solid boats. The newer ones are hit-or-miss as far as build quality, especially the rigging.

Newer 2-strokes (Etec, Opti) have much better combustion management, thanks to electronics, or Direct Injection, and the newer DFI oils that just resist fouling up the combustion with carbon, etc. Troll away, then hammer down on the way home. Best of both worlds, but get a 4-stroke if the deal is right. Tough call.

Asking a Whaler owner is begging for bias. It's like asking a fundamentalist about their unbiased opinion on religion, etc! Okay, not that bad, but still... :p

I don't hate Whalers; I would love for my kids to have a little one to zip around in. I feel they are safe. The Montauk would be so much better than what you are used to!

You will pay more for one, but it will last and have high resale value. Set expectations accordingly: They are good boats; they are not magical.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Asking a Whaler owner is begging for bias. It's like asking a fundamentalist about their unbiased opinion on religion, etc! Okay, not that bad, but still...

Truer words were never written.

Keep an eye on the Red sky at night stories in the iboats Review. I give a lot of attention to rigging several Whalers for fishing and then fishing, including muskies, from them.

My choice would be an early '80s Montauk 17 (the ones that still had a lot of mahogany brightwork) with about 70HP. I used both JohnnyRude 70s and a Suzuki DF70 4 stroke. Montauks require special handling in a chop to avoid severe pounding, but are very stable.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I agree with above with one addition...... Depending on what you do 25% (family boat) ....... I do not think they are as comfortable for that purpose.

It would be a great boat for Champlain as long as Champ the lake monster doesn't get you :D I boat in the lower half of Champlain and love it.

saumon

Lieutenant

Thanks to all. JB, I'll follow that article for sure. Bob, :D

I still can't figure out how you can rig them with sturdy rod holders like Down-East. Obviously, it need to be one without the high rails. Can they be removed or does it need to come like that?

Here' an example of thoses deals: http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/020969.html

Pros:
more than fair price
engine (newer E-Tec)
very clean condition

Cons:
2500kms is definitely too far away!
the floor plan, wich is obviously more of a bay waves pounder without any seating, even for the driver

JB

Sunshine3.JPG$2 rod holders.jpg

Sunshine III kept her high rails and could troll 4 lines from sturdy rod holders. Also sported a Minn Kota 55 AP and a for'd pedestal seat.,

saumon

Lieutenant

Wow, now you make me drool!

Is the model shown in the previous ad common, with only a backrest and no seating at all?
I've also seen some with a cooler with a cushion on top in front of the console. Is this something that was added afterward?

And what are the main differences between the pre-2000 Montauk 17 and the newer Montauk 170? Handling? Softer ride?

Sorry, so many questions...

JB

What ad? Those pix are of my own boat. The seat behind the console is reversible. It is called the RPS (reversible pilot seat). The cushioned cooler in front of the console was pretty standard but was in the cabin when the pix were taken.

The 170 is a bigger, heavier, less maneuverable, deep Vee boat. More comfortable for the wusses and less stable. It is an entirely different sort of boat. . .a good one, but should not be called a Montauk. Real Montauks were the class of the small offshore fishermen for 26 years and. . . .well, I could go on for an hour or so but it would only prove Philster's point.:p

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the 17' with a 70 is a great rig for fishing, family, work, and transportation. grab one.

whalers don't need to be over powered; the hull shape gives them an edge in that regard. Plus they don't like too much weight back there.
Trim is important.

JB

Sunshine III topped at 40mph with the Suzi DF-70, 42 with the 80 Johnny 70. The Suzi was as fast as my son's 99 Montauk with Merc 90.

The Suzi would idle down slow enough to troll for walleye and cruise at 35.

The story of Sunshine III should be in the May issue of the Review.

saumon

Lieutenant

Many thanks for sharing all thoses infos and experience, i really appreciate.

Now i'm sold and will keep looking around here within a reasonnable range (400-500 kms, MA, ME, VT, CT, NY, NH).

If you happen to be aware of one that might be up for sale, feel free to let me know...

saumon

Lieutenant

All the Whaler enthusiasts now seems to swear by the 90 E-Tec for the Montauk 17 but does anybody have any thought on the new Yammie F70? At 260lbs, wich is 60 lbs less than the E-Tec and 80lbs less than the Suzi, it look interresting...