How to remove ugly paint

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,
So I've got a 14 foot Lund with some ugly green paint on it. I was wondering if using some paint stripper and a wire wheel? I know it will scratch the hull a little bit but It wont effect new paint would it? Here's some pics of what I"m working with.

6bc22248.jpg

3f2887b5.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to remove ugly paint

i would use ugly green paint remover.....and soda blast the rest

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

CitriStrip in the Orange Can will do it! Might take a couple of hitches and some scraping.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

put down the wire wheel and walk away slowly, it will do more harm than good................

and use woods idea :)

or maybe paint over it to the color you want ????

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like I've got a trip to Home depot to make.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is not ugly. Put a little tan, lighter green with some camo netting and you have one heck of a duck boat!

labawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Personally I love that color and may use it myself! :p

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

actually i like that color because it matches the water well, and is dull, not shiny.............. i hate the glare from shiny tins, and paint in the sun on the water

Bondo

Staff member

Hey guys,
So I've got a 14 foot Lund with some ugly green paint on it. I was wondering if using some paint stripper and a wire wheel? I know it will scratch the hull a little bit but It wont effect new paint would it? Here's some pics of what I"m working with.

Ayuh,.... Why, Oh Why would ya want to do That,....

Sand it Smooth, 'n repaint the color of yer choice Over it...

It'll save ya a Ton of Money, 'n Time, over what yer plannin' to do....

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wanna get rid of this paint and have it back to the Lund red. The po used household paint so its not something I wanna keep

Star

Chief Petty Officer

After you put on paint remover you will find a course block of green scotch brite 4"x 3" x1" with a handle on it at Home Depot. It works very well. For the seams and rivit lines 3M has a yellow rubber disk that has abrasive in it and little fingers that cleans aroud all bumpy surfaces. They screw onto a small right angle grinder. The use of SOS pot cleaning pads and water should finish it for you don't use any coarse sandpaper it will show through the paint. I was going to paint mine to but it came out so nice I didn't.Picture 006.jpg

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been using some paint stripper from Walmart that's working pretty well and a green scotch brite pad to get the paint off. It's workin pretty well this far

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

put up some pics, please..............

i may use your idea to remove ugly reg #'s off my boat, so can put on some nice sweet looking new ones :D