58 mfg cable steering

RMJ

Cadet
I am close to finishing the interior of my 1958 MFG and thinking about the steering. When I got it , it had been converterd to a newer Teleflex system with the big black steering cable . I didnt like it and it was froze up anyway so I took it out . I am inclined to redo with a cable system. A friend has an older boat (Aluminum V-hull from the late 50'S and it has this type steering. I think this must have been the norm back then for small outboards.
Anyhow, checking EBAY has yielded little of interest. If available , they are usually well worn or so highly prized that they are beyond my means. If the name Chris Craft is associated with them the price is vry inflated.
Sooooo,,.... I was wondering if I am barking up the wrong tree or does someone know of a source of this system. Perhaps someone has an extra they wish to part with reasonably.

Rick100_1252.jpg100_1253.jpg100_1255.jpg100_1254.jpg100_1256.jpg

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 58 mfg cable steering

Hey RMJ ..... welcome to iboats. Do you have any of the old cables and pulleys or are you starting from scratch? Why don't you just get a new cable for what you have in your boat now? The reason that I ask is I just converted mine from cable and pulley to the new rotary system and I have the pulleys from my boat but I am not sure what condition they are in I'll have to look. I would be glad to send them to you for the cost of shipping if you want them. I am new to boating and haven't finished my project yet so I can't speak for how this new system will work. Seems that it would be easier then trying to keep those cables and pulleys working properly together.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just began reinstalling my original cable system on my 61 Oxford (15 footer).

One thing I see different on Duckworks is the pulley. Theirs has a sort of hook on it. Mine has a closed loop at the top. I don't know how the hooks are kept in place ??? Seems to me they could jump out of the little brackets ... ? I know the are under tension but closed loop seems better. My bracket feeds through the pulley, then attaches to the side. They can't come off.

I have never used a cable system before. I don't see any real problem with it as long as the tension springs are adjusted properly. I know they can be "squeaky" but a drop of tacky oil (like bar oil for a chain saw) should take care of that.

The Duckworks tension spring looks the same as mine.

My cable clamps are original and are much nicer than Duckworks. Where to find them? Could be tough ...

My concern would be the steering shaft / drum / steering wheel assembly. Are they anywhere to be found? Mine appears to be made of pot metal and if it cracks ... oh baby ... good luck! I was very careful with it!

I bought my replacement cable on Amazon. It ended up being slightly smaller diameter than what was in when I bought it. The cable has nice flexibility and should "travel" nicely. I just hope my original cable clamps can pinch it properly. I bought 50 feet because 25 was just cutting it too darn close. I have 15' left but it is too short to be of any real use.

Here is a link to the Amazon item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HGOFO/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00

NOTE: 7x19 strand core is more flexible and fatigue-resistant than 7x7 class construction

RMJ

Cadet

Thanks for the offer, but the cables and pulleys are fairly easy to come by. The harder part is the steering wheel assembly. I have a potential donor in a neearby city that I will go look at this weekend, but the pictures look well worn.
Rick

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RMJ,
Converted mine to Teleflex. You can have mine, the drum and shaft are fine. They are out of a 70 Carefree, and not worn at all. I cannot give you the wheel, or the thresed housing, because that's what broke. I will send pics if you want them. Please let me know.

RMJ

Cadet

Thanks , I have located a complete system nearby that I am going to get this weekend.
I will see if it is all in good shape. If not I will let you know
Rick

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great. They ain't goin' nowhere! Let me know how the hunt turned out. I have pullys, cable, Drum and shaft.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Just a plug for the teleflex. I have one on my boat- used the new steering with the old bezel and OEM steering wheel with some modification. I could never get rid of the squeaks, rattles, and jiggles. It worked GREAT but I love the teleflex - smooth, and nothing in the way underdash of under gunwales.

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Totally agree on the teleflex! best move I ever made on this boat! Well, besides getting it...