motor revs but wont go

trapp

Cadet
i have a 79 merc, just got it . went out a few times ran great,last time out i put it in reverse and gave it gas and it was jumping like it wasn't fully engaging.. took it home adjusted the lingage and it was fine with muffs on. when back out today started going in forward and at about 1/2 thottle the motor revs but the prop stops spinning. i adjusted the lingage back and it's still the same.. i can go about 5 mpr , any more than that it slips (revs but stops spinning)..lower end is milky. any ideas what it could be..ANYONE....PLS AND THANKS....

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: motor revs but wont go

Spun hub on the prop.
Change your lower unit oil and check after next time out to see if it gets milky.

trapp

Cadet

i checked the prop by hand and it's tight. on high rpms you think it's spinning?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Make match marks on the brass prop hub and the prop blade. Run the motor and see if they marks still match. If not, the hub is spinning and the prop is not. A prop shop can repair it.

trapp

Cadet

worked great chris, THANKS. saved me alot of time and money... THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS..

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

now fix the issue causing water to enter your oil and cause your gearcase to get milky!!!