2000 bass tracker ignition issue

Jlc2ay

Recruit
I just acquired a 2000 bass tracker. Ignition switch has 3 positions: off, run, and start. It was working correctly moving through all 3 positions. However, the switch was a little loose Around the dash and would rotate slightly when the key was turned. So I took it out of the dash and put a washer on it to make it tighter.

It worked but here's the problem now: when I go to turn the switch clockwise, it immediately attempts to start where before it would just move into the run position. I figured it may have gotten stuck in the run position because the fuel gauge stays on (when the switch is at off the fuel gauge goes to E). The switch won't turn counterclockwise at all though. Anybody know what my issue is? Also, I used vice grips on the switch, could I have damaged it?

Thanks in advance. If this isn't electrical, could mods move it to right place?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 2000 bass tracker ignition issue

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Yes, I think you've damaged the switch.

Jlc2ay

Recruit

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Yes, I think you've damaged the switch.

Thanks! I figured that might be the case, I didn't have much time to tinker with it, but I plan on bringing a new switch along with me next time since the boat is about an hour and a half away from my house. Do you know anything about the best way to go about finding a replacement ignition switch? I'm fairly new to boats. I think I found the right one on ******** .com, it's a 6 pronged Mercury switch that comes with keys for 24.99.

NYBo

Admiral

Outboard or I/O motor? They use different switches. For an outboard, choose a magneto push-to-choke switch unless it's fuel injected (not sure if FI needs push-to-choke). You can find what you need right here at iboats.