55hp lower unit issues again

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so I uncovered the boat today and lowered the motor down and lower unit oil started coming out of my grooved hole thing (i believe its the water intake?) on the lower unit. Nice clean oil but a decent amount of it. So i popped the screws out and very very small amount of water (less then teaspoon, maybe half teaspoon) came out followed by half clean oil mixed with a black oil. I recently replaced the shaft bearing cage and had some welding done to the lower but its been good since. What is the black stuff and why did oil come out of the drain holes. I have some pictures to show the leaks. But clearly it took in some water at some point. Ive been out 4 times since the repair and it was good every time I checked??? should I be keeping the motor in the down position when stored? anyways just looking for a solution. thanks for looking and its a 1975 555HG

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-05-11_16-33-19_570.jpg
    Resampled_2012-05-11_16-33-19_570.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Resampled_2012-05-11_16-33-14_276.jpg
    Resampled_2012-05-11_16-33-14_276.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 55hp lower unit issues again

You need to pressure test the lower to find out where it's comming from.
They have had a couple threads on here dealing with homeade testers.
Put that into the thread search.J

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Jerry,

I will look into those threads. Is there a seal behind the water intake? Y would lower oil come pouring out only when I put it down this time but it never has before? I am going to re seal the gear housing and any other that may be bad.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Oil leaking fropm there usually means the driveshaft seal is bad.
Or the shift shaft seal is bad.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok excellent, I am going to order a full seal kit (to have extras) and reseal it bc I dont have access to a pressure tester at the moment or the supplies/cash to build one. Turns out today when I put the new cables on it, I pulled the flywheel do to a attempt but fail start with lots of random kicks. Got the flywheel apart and noticed that I sheared off my moon key and advanced the timing. Im assuming thats y I was having trouble starting

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

As for buying a seal kit,you should really get it tested.
I had a leak,it was between the front shift shaft and the drive shaft seal.
Without the pressure test,I would have changed all the seals and still had a leak.
Try to rig up something!!!

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jerry do you have a rough estimate as to what a fair price is for a pressure test. Seems nobody I knows has access to one and I if its say 80-100 bucks I could just buy a tester myself off ebay. Right now the leak is so small I am just running it and checking/refilling after every trip where needed.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you are getting clean oil out the top it is likely that the gearcase seal is either not tight enough or compromised. Then, when running the boat water forces its way in and forces out the oil.

Sorry to say but you need to drop the lower and separate the gearcase halves, then replace the seal. When reassembling be certain the both nuts are fully tight.

Do not get cocky and run the engine for too long as-is. Water in the gearcase always needs to take a priority repair.

If you are at all handy you can make a pressure tester from a bycicle pump and an old tire valve. Grind down the big end of the rubber so it will screw tightly into the fill hole then pump up the gearcase to 10 psi and put under water.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thank you for that homeade tester. thats a great one to remember.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank Frank,

Im sure to have a few of those parts lying around here somewhere. Ill give it a shot. I ordered the shift and driveshaft seals to be safe so I am ready for anything. 6 bucks worth wasting if their not needed :)