opinion on hull repair needed *pics inside*

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased a boat a little while back and much to my dismay, I found a very worrysome gouge on the hull after getting it home. I am looking for any opinions on how bad this really is. My neighborhood pier is going to be installed this weekend and wanted to get this worked out before I drop the boat for the first time. This is my first boat and am completely new to the boating world. Is this something that can be just patched up on my own or is this a professional only job? The gouge is still wet, not dripping. I have seen hull repair kits, is this out of the spectrum of the diy kits? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: opinion on hull repair needed *pics inside*

Its a doable repair, but will take some time, first off it rather deep, (more than just a chip in the gelcoat. You'll need to grind it out down to some good glass and check for further damage. Let it dry out good also.

Can you get to the inside (probably not but worth asking) Would be nice to see what the other side looks like. It took a pretty good lick to go that deep and I'm concerned you have some damaged glass stucture there.

CW

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately no, I do not have access to the inside. The structural damage is what concerns me. Would this be out of the realm of an epoxy type filler?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Yes. But really need to do some grinding to see the extend of the damaged glass. It's gonna need a bit of glass repair before the gelcoat is repaired...

CW

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice

How thick are hulls usually?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

3/16" to 1/4". Can you back off a bit and give us a pic of the actual location of the damage. By the way, YOU can do this. Is it wet due to water penetrating into the hull? If so, this will be a problem. If you hve floatation foam and it has become saturated then you will have some work ahead of you. Do you have any idea how long this damage has been there and how long the boat has been exposed to the water with it in this condition? We will give you all the info and details to get this done correctly so it will be safe and durable. IF the water has not penetrated the hull then... It's about a 1-2 hour fix at the most. Do you have a local marina where you might be able to purchase some glassing supplies? You're gunna need some Laminating resin, 1.5oz CSM and some 10 - 20 oz cloth or woven roving. You're only gunna need about a square foot of each. and about a pint to a quart of resin.

thedeeg918

Cadet

Why is it wet? was it in the water when you got it?
Dont know how your boat is designed, but water could be logged up in the wood / foam structure under your floor.
I myself am new to the boating realm as well. Just bought myself my first boat the other day too. It is an old Power Cat.
The previous owner had told me that he had put new wood on the floor...lol, well he did... right over the top of the old rotten one. Something didnt feel right when I put the boat on the water for the first time.
So couple days later I noticed water drip one the bottom of the boat from an old patch. I then removed all the seats, console ,carpet,and the "new wood" floor. Everything under it was water logged - mushy - mildew nasty rotten wood and foam....
Now I am in process of removing and replacing the entire floor of the boat.

rickryder

Commander

I'll bet you will be replacing more than your deck ^..... Have you started a resto thread of your own??

Rockmere1

Seaman

Now I am in process of removing and replacing the entire floor of the boat

Ok 918 this is no problem, head back to http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22 the boat resto page, and start a new thread and post losts of pics these guys are great on here, and have an incredible amount of info to help out.:D

And Mikep I personally dont know how to work fiberglass, but you are in good hands, one thing i have learned is have some patience, and post lots of pics of your boat! I know i cant wait to see the rest of it! :D

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some other pictures of the boat. I am going to borrow a dremel from a friend. I will update with pictures soon.

rinker2.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice
Re: opinion on hull repair needed *pics inside* updated (help please)

IMG_0029-1.jpg

IMG_0022-1.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

So I took a dremel to it today and end up having to take it pretty deep in one area. The damaged area is pretty much directly underneath the center of the engine. I cannot see the damage from the inside of the engine bay area though. The wood behind it is a little moist, so I held a hair dryer to it for a while in the hopes dry it out completely. Any input is appreciated. Have to be honest, seeing it, puts a really sick feeling in my stomach.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Can you "Back Off" a bit and give us a better perspective of exactly where this damage is located. "Pretty much directly underneath the center of the engine" Does this mean on the very bottom of the hull in the center of the hull? How far forward from the transom/stern? If the wood is wet then this is a pretty good indication this has been going on for quite a while and from the color of the wood that is in the pic, Rot has started. I don't think this is going to be a quick and easy fix but we need a bit more info and some more investigation on your part before we can be sure what exactly is going on.

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice

The boat is postioned in my garage where I dont really have a whole lot of space to back up away from the boat. It is almost directly along the center of the hull. Near the rear of the boat.
IMG_0045-1.jpg

IMG_0044-1.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

This is a measurement from the drain plug in the bottom center of the transom.
IMG_0041-1.jpg

Those are the trim cylinders. The outdrive is removed.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Woody is right on spot with this one, I see water soaked rotten wood too. Gonna have to look from the inside on this one and see the extend of the soaked wood. You can patch it up, but it's not gonna solve the problem, and the patch won't last long. Oh and by the way, patches are not recommended, especially in this case.

CW

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice

When you say patch, do you mean repairing it from the bottom?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Not really, by patch I mean not finding the extend of the rotten wood and water damage.

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice

Would it be a realistic option to try and dry it out from underneath? I am already into this boat way more than I was under the impression when I bought it. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the boat and it was ready for water. I am finishing up a bellows job and still need to replace the impeller pump in the outdrive too. I am really trying to stay positive and not get too discouraged, but it is getting harder and harder. Is there any way around removing the engine and just repairing it from underneath? At least to get it through the season and dig into it after I remove it from the water in the fall? Or am I completely screwed on this one? TIA

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is a real shame. That is a really nice looking boat. I would start poking around and see where else there is water damage inside. Check the ski locker, tap on the stringers a bit, see what you find. It should tell you all you need. If you ask me there is only one real answer, gut it and do it right. Kinda stinks, but with how nice that thing is it will be like new once you do that. We got ours last year for $3k. Add another $3k and we are now finally to go. The rot issues alone cost about $1600 at a local marina.

Whats the line I heard on the forum? BOAT = "Bust Out Another Thousand"

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Would it be a realistic option to try and dry it out from underneath? I am already into this boat way more than I was under the impression when I bought it. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the boat and it was ready for water. I am finishing up a bellows job and still need to replace the impeller pump in the outdrive too. I am really trying to stay positive and not get too discouraged, but it is getting harder and harder. Is there any way around removing the engine and just repairing it from underneath? At least to get it through the season and dig into it after I remove it from the water in the fall? Or am I completely screwed on this one? TIA

Not what you want to hear, but... your pics indicate bad things going on in the motor area of the boat on the inside. You will not be able to dry it out from underneath. It could also be affecting the transom, motor mounts and stringers. There's no way of telling without a thorough inspection on the inside. Can you take some pics of the motor area on the inside, the mounts, especially and possibly back on the transom where the outdrive attaches? What does the interior of the Ski Locker look like? Can you see back towards the motor under there or is it closed off by a bulkhead? If the stringers are rotting and weakend the boat could be in an unsafe condition. Not saying it is, just that it could be. Wet weak transoms are a problem as well. Only inspection and core sampling will tell the entire story.

mikep.

Seaman Apprentice

I will take more pictures of it tonight, as I am at work now. I cannot see the damaged area from the inside. It looks like there is a sheet below the engine.