1999 Johnson 50 hp tilt and trim lowering while giving throttle

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice
As I was backing my boat in today I forgot i had the motor trimmed most of the way down and it bumped the concrete. Now when at about half throttle, the t&t slowly moves down. It has plenty of power when I raise the motor but as soon as I take my finger off the switch it starts moving down . Any suggestions what could be wrong. Thanks

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1999 Johnson 50 hp tilt and trim lowering while giving throttle

It also lowers when just sitting

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First thing to do is check the oil level in it. Second is to check to make sure your manual release valve is tight.

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice

The fluid level is good. And manual release is tight. What would have happened when it hit the concrete?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Try running it up and down 5 or 6 times .

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice

I lowered it up and down 5-6 times. It didn't help. It makes a sputtering sound every once and a while. any ideas what could have happened when the motor hit the concrete. thank you for all your help.

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice

could it have blown a seal or something causing it to loose pressure. No fluiod is leaking out but it seems like its losing pressure.

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice

i drained all of the fluid so i could replace it. I raised the motor and locked it up. Filled to the bottom of the threads,put the cap in and now it will not raise the motor on its own. i tried raising it by hand a few times (helping the t&t) and the took the cap off to add fluid and it blew air out. So i added fluid and did the same thing and still nothing. I did this about 5 times and it still will not lift the motor on its own. Am i doing something wrong or does anyone have any ideas what i can do

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice

The problem was that the O-ring was broken on the end of the manual release valve. I replaced it and now it workks perfectly.