Starter Grinding

Steamenbeamen

Recruit
I have a 1989 Donzi with a brand new GM 4.3 L engine. My mechanic took the old motor off and put the new back in. When he went to start the motor the first time, it turned over but didn't crank. The next time same thing. The third time it almost sounded like a grinding noise coming from the starter. From there on, the grinding noise continued. So then he ordered a new starter and we put it in and the motor turned not even a half turn and started grinding again. I am at a dead end here and need some help before the mechanic continues to buy parts.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starter Grinding

I have a 1989 Donzi with a brand new GM 4.3 L engine. My mechanic took the old motor off and put the new back in. When he went to start the motor the first time, it turned over but didn't crank. The next time same thing. The third time it almost sounded like a grinding noise coming from the starter. From there on, the grinding noise continued. So then he ordered a new starter and we put it in and the motor turned not even a half turn and started grinding again. I am at a dead end here and need some help before the mechanic continues to buy parts.

can you differentiate better your definition of "turning over" and "cranking" ? cuz to me they are both the same.

broken teeth on the flywheel? from installing an incorrect starter?

If its turning over but not starting ( fire and gas being ignited ) well then you are looking at a can o' worms.

if he's an auto mechanic, then there's a couple things that are easily missed that will cause it to not fire.
1. reversed shift interupt connections thereby grounding the ignition - end result, no spark.
2. dirty connections on or in the distributor etc..
3. dirty carb, electric fuel pump not working, not wired properly ( including oil pressure safety switch )

there's a couple things to start :) with.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter Grinding

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... It could be the starter, or the flywheel,...

The only way to know, is Look...