How to paint boat hull bottom - boat on trailer currently

duwood

Cadet
I am just curious what you all have done to paint the bottom of your boats. Mine is on a trailer currently and the only garage I have is down at my parents but I was wondering if you guys lift your boats off or if you build some sort of stand for them to sit on how do you go about it. I have bad crazing and cracking in my gel coat and have sanded it smooth in areas I can get to but need to get underneath. I plan on using woodonglass's Tractor and Implement paint suggestion and follow it for the painting. I don't suppose it will hurt it to run it in the water for a couple of hours at a time before I get to filling the gelcoat and painting? :confused: Thanks so much for the feedback!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to paint boat hull bottom - boat on trailer currently

to take the boat off the trailer.....its simple.....but repetitive.

lower tounge of trailer.....block the transom.

lift tounge not quite all the way up......block the keel

pull trailer forward.....lift tounge till you can move the keel blocks out of the way of the frame and axle so the trailer can move forward again.

pull trailer forward.....

now that the transom is out of the way.....place blocks under the outer chines of the boat to steady the hull.

now move the keel blocks so you can pull forward again.....keep repeting till you are clear.

when the boat is on the blocks......climb under and paint...

to replace the trailer.....do the process in reverse, but add water to the bunks so the boat slides better on the bunks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to paint boat hull bottom - boat on trailer currently

by the way.......if there is crazing in the gellcoat,

just painting will not work.....the cracks will show thru again.

you will need to repair the gellcoat first.....then paint.

however with a proper gell coat repair and polish. you wont need to re paint the bottom.