old martin 20 outboard repair help???

i have an old martin 20 2.3hp outboard motor from the late 40's and its a 100% complete motor all original with working wobble pump and poppet valves even. it has compression, it has strong spark, and its getting fuel cuz the spark plugs are getting wet when i try pulling it over too much. ive cleaned the carb and tried adjusting just about everything, and the timing seems right and everything is functioning properly. im just baffled as it wont start! ive spent days on this trying to figure it out. its a 2 stroke, and i did replace most of the gaskets. the only thing i couldnt get to was inside the crankcase. 6 bolts hold it together and ony 5 come out. the last one is stuck because the previous owner used rock hard copper head gasket sealer for the 2 halve of the crankcase. i love this little motor and really wanna see it run, i just have no idea what to do. help please???

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: old martin 20 outboard repair help???

Those motors have Poppet valves in place of reeds. As such, the valves and valve seats MUST make a good seal for it to draw enough fuel to run. That would be my first inkling...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, it "has compression". Just how much compression does it have? "Plug is getting wet"---it shouldn't. How far open do you have the main jet? Is the carb flooding over? Are you over choking it?

I hope it has the orange coil---right? If it has a cracked black coil, it won't run.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your post brought back a lot of Martin memories. Take Chinewalkers advice and also check for spark. The odds of you getting it running reliably are about as good as they were when they were new.

My dad had one on a skiff we had at my Great GG's house on the bay. We learned early on that it was o.k. to start fishing just after shoving off when ever we went out with that motor. The oar locks and the starter rope were the only things that ever wore out on that rig.

mudmansteve

Recruit

Hey M.Army, I have a Martin 20 and they are fine little motors. Purr like a kitten when they are set right.

My procedures for trouble-shooting a motor.

1. Check for fire at spark plug
2. Spray a small shot of starting fluid in carb with the choke open
3. Close choke and attempt to start
4. If it does not sputter check your coil for cracks, clean points with a point file or just a piece of thin cardboard, set points usually 20 thousandths, change spark plug ( sometimes, but not offen, they will fire in air but not under compression)
clean flywheel magnets with fine sand paper, clean the coil lamination ends with fine sand paper, clean the flywheel tapered hole and the crank where the flywheel mates to it.
5. If it sputters, I usually turn to looking at the fuel delivery
5. Pull bowl from carb and see if fuel is making it to the bowl- if not, it usually the float, however on these old motors there could be a restriction from the fuel tank or fuel line
6. You can contact Russ Larson at:

lo53357@windstream.net
1499 County Road 11
Mead, NE 68041
(402) 624-2345

They have a lot of parts and are very helpful. Good luck.