Bad Middle Range Engine Stalls

clbishop

Recruit
I have a 2008 Mercruiser 3.0L 135hp 181 cid TKS engine in my boat. It idles fine and the high range is also fine. It stalls in the middle range 2000 rpm - 3000 rpm range. It started this issue the beginning of this season. I believe it is getting flooded, because after it stalls and i start it back up with no throttle at all it reves high for a few seconds before it goes back down to normal idle. For a few seconds it revs high and low and then goes down to idle when hot.

Has anyone had this problem before and do you have any suggestions? I'm hoping it is not the mid range circuit on the carborator. If it is I may have to rebuild or replace the entire carborator.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bad Middle Range Engine Stalls

If you haven't installed a water separating fuel filter, you may have water in your carb. The TKS distributor is also very sensitive to idle mixture to get proper throttle response. Takes a special tool to adjust.
Have you done a tuneup lately?

clbishop

Recruit
Re: Bad Middle Range Engine Stalls

If you haven't installed a water separating fuel filter, you may have water in your carb. The TKS distributor is also very sensitive to idle mixture to get proper throttle response. Takes a special tool to adjust.
Have you done a tuneup lately?

I replaced the water separating fuel filter, I also changed the plugs. I just bought a tune up kit and will be installing tomorrow. The other things I'm planning on doung tomorrow is replacing the fuel pump filter and fuel carb filter to see if that helps.

I do notice that when I get the engine above the 2000 rpm range the fuel comes out of the both jets as a stream of gas not a spray. I also noticed what looked like moisture inside the carborator. Should the fuel come out of the jets as a spray or semi tight stream?